Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cancelling amex card

Options
  • 12-11-2007 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Well I have an amex card for a long time and am not happy since they moved their services from Ireland to the uk.
    Firstly I found on the website some months that they would convert 1 amex points for 2 hilton points. So off I went and did so only to discover that this was for sterling customers and euro customers could convert 1 euro for 1 hilton reward. I reminded them of the exchange rate and said one euro is worth alot more than 50pence sterling and that their rewards website was wrong as it didnt mention the ripoff that euro users were getting a terrible deal on the rewards in comparison to sterling customers. Therefore I cancelled my rewards membership because of the bad deal irish customers were getting on this.

Now I am going to cancel the card. Basically since they moved the services to the uk they sent a mail asking for proof of residence. I asked them for more details and never received this. Then they sent me a mail saying I couldnt use the card and the information was needed for the UK government. Now that really annoyed me since I am resident in ireland and should not have to prove to the uk gov who I am and where I live.

Next was that a bill got lost (never arrived) and they blocked the card on me as I hadnt paid in 30 days. ... When it was admin'd from Irl this never happened. There I am now paying them the outstanding plus fees for a bill that never made it and cancelling the card and wonder if other irish amex customers (or maybe now ex customers) feel about this or have they had the same problems since this move.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

am I the only one with an american express card?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You've given the thread a few hours. You don't need to bump it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Services for the Amex Blue card have not moved to the UK (or they haven't notified card holders like me if they have). Why not switch to Amex Blue and benefit from their 1% cashback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Cancelling mine this year, just can't justify having to pay the levy for 2 cards when one will do me....and with the way amex seems to have gone lately no-one will take it, even having trouble online; seems that visa/mastercard have it wrapped up.
    Apart from the levy I'm very happy with amex (blue) and the cashback is a definite bonus if you spend enough on it. I did have a billing problem a while back; bill never came and I didn't pay the owed amount...quick phonecall to amex CS (female well spoken Dub accent) and it was sorted, revoked the penalty charge and interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Wertz wrote: »
    well spoken Dub accent
    Oxymoron?

I have found Amex phone service to be pretty good in the past too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement