Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime help?

Options
  • 12-11-2007 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hey, just wonder could anyone help with any similar experiences.

Yesterday afternoon 3.00pm (Sunday) my brother was asleep as he works different shift hours. There was a knocking on the door getting louder so he assumed it was me forgetting my keys, as he went to put the key in the door to open it, it was kicked open, hit him in the head. Standing in front of him was a man of eastern european origin. He said he had 'the wrong apartment"

The gardai were called and 45mins later they arrived, took a statement blah blah, said there wasn't much they could do as there are hundreds of people matching his description around, but I accepted that and it was fine. The door was split, as was the frame. So we got a carpenter friend of ours to come out and temporarily make it secure.

At 5.15am (mon) he/they were back trying to kick it in again, when my brother put the lights on they ran. Called the gardai again, and in fairness this time they had 2 cars up in ten mins. Still no joy in finding them. One of the gardai however said to my brother 'there is nothing to worry about' and another one said 'if they want you they'll get you'? What sort of a thing to say is that? The poor guy was scared out of his wits as it was.

My question is has anyone had this sort of experience before? Or what are peoples opinions on it? Both myself and my brother are both upstanding citizens and not involved in anything sinister just to rule that out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wow, similar thing happened our house.
    Door kicked in and place robbed. THis was around 2:30am a few months ago.
    Gardai said it was a gang of Eastern Europeans targeting the general area.

Without being specific OP, can I ask where this happened?
    I'm in Dublin 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

holy shit! that must be freaky...

perhaps set up a video camera at a window or something to watch those that come to the house... just to try and get a decent ID of them if they ever do come back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

maybe it's time to invest in a german shepard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

God that's really scary. Maybe you should get new locks (super duper ones) installed) or maybe get an Eircom phone watch/alarm. If they kick the door in while you're asleep an alarm will go off, which they'll be able to hear. If you don't answer the phone and give them the password telling them it's alright they'll send someone over. it used to make me feel safer and it might act as a deterrent if they see the box and/or hear the noise when they interfere with the door. At home even someone banging the door sets it off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Keep a baseball bat by the door and give it to them across the teeth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Yep I was thinking about the phonewatch thing alright. Im out in citywest. None of the neighbours have been affected and no other break ins that I know of? I've sent my brother back to our parents house until it blows over and I've pretty much been living with my girlfriend in city centre the last few months.

We are buying together and selling the one in citywest. I hope it is just an isolated incident. I recently cancelled my contents insurance as I have nothing of value in the apartment. Does anyone know whether block insurance will cover the front door?

Were you in the house at the time micmclo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

How about just installing some sort of alarm on the door? I'm sure they'd run a mile if they heard it and not bother coming back cos they know the alarm is there.

Unless your brother collects gold coins or somethin

I have an alarm but it wasn't set as my brother was in the house. It's always set when there is noone there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Keep a kettle beside your bed with a small amount of water in it, if you hear anything flick it on. Wait a few seconds until boiled and either answer the door with it or out the top window. ;) Actually, would be better to make sure its not the local parish priest first...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

A similar thying happened a friend of my sisters.He heard someone kicking his front door. went down, made his presence know to the assholes outside hoping they'd piss off. Sadly no such luck,they kicked his door in and gave him a hidingbefore robbing the house. there wasn't even anything of value really. He was so shaken by it he moved out of the area permanently. It'd also be a good idea to get some pepper spray or something to that affect. If ya hear the bastards outside again......pepper spray to the face!!! then go with the boiling water......then the dental treatment with the baseball bat!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Buy a gun and watch the Shining, Irreversible, The Warriors, the original Assault on Precinct 13 etc. while drinking loads of coffee/ doing loads of coke and staying up for a few days. Wait for knock. Answer door. Resolve Issue. Use Temporary Insantity/I'm not a foreigner defense in court. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Buy a gun and watch the Shining, Irreversible, The Warriors, the original Assault on Precinct 13 etc. while drinking loads of coffee/ doing loads of coke and staying up for a few days. Wait for knock. Answer door. Resolve Issue. Use Temporary Insantity/I'm not a foreigner defense in court. Problem solved.
    Don't forget the "Aliens" trilogy to load up on paranoia.

Put a trapdoor in front of your door, and have the rope triggering it next to your bed. Tomasz falls down, and now it's the guy in the flat below you's problem. (he could install a vertical spike or oversized Venus flytrap under the trapdoor)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Mordeth wrote: »
    maybe it's time to invest in a german shepard?

your german shepard did sweet **** all to keep me from breaking into your house
    (even though you left the front door open for me ;))

btw i fed him a block of cheese afterwards for being so nice to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

As the rules for people entering your house stated (this not to be confused with flying ninjas section 2.3 part iv).

I suggest you look at section 3 part 1

This states

(1) Using imaminate objects works extremely well once placed hot or cold or even thrown at the suspect. Items should have either non life status, be either a gas, solid or liquid. Eg.. Ash trays, Pots/Pans, Hot water.

(2) Use the element of surprise to your advantage. Dont let them know your there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Degsy wrote: »

God Bless American Passtimes :)

Totally legal too. And Satisfying.

Then you have kitchen cutlery (oh yes the big stuff - sharpened with a whet stone) and an airsoft rifle (cos if you buy the right one those things are heavy too - great for butting)

But ah... I so have to get a baseball bat. Ty, luv :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

briantwin wrote: »
    A similar thying happened a friend of my sisters.He heard someone kicking his front door. went down, made his presence know to the assholes outside hoping they'd piss off. Sadly no such luck,they kicked his door in and gave him a hidingbefore robbing the house. there wasn't even anything of value really. He was so shaken by it he moved out of the area permanently. It'd also be a good idea to get some pepper spray or something to that affect. If ya hear the bastards outside again......pepper spray to the face!!! then go with the boiling water......then the dental treatment with the baseball bat!!!:D

Where are these places that this is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

If I was your brother I would stake out my own house and call the guard when they are back
    and install a security camera in the hall thats well hidden and facing the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Degsy wrote: »

I have one by the side of my bed just in case.
    A few weeks back a similar thing happened close to where I live. 23 houses were broken into in one area, and they were working their way up towards citywest. Three houses on my street alone were broken into a few days later. There are only 14 houses on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If a baseball bat is unavailable a good alternative is a sharpened hurley with the metal band half twisted off and only held on by rusty nails ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Do you have at least 2 locks on your door?
    A home security system is your best option as well. I would also consider getting automatic lights for outside your front door if possible too - similiar situation happened to us about a month ago, where turning on the outside light made the robbers leave ASAP. Lack of the above, meant that we got robbed of E12000 worth of stuff though. :(

• Advertisement

tallus wrote: »
    I have one by the side of my bed just in case.
    A few weeks back a similar thing happened close to where I live. 23 houses were broken into in one area, and they were working their way up towards citywest. Three houses on my street alone were broken into a few days later. There are only 14 houses on the street.

That sounds interesting Tallus, have you anymore info on it? Was there anything done about it. PM me if you don't want to post it on a public board.

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    A home security system is your best option as well. I would also consider getting automatic lights for outside your front door if possible too - similiar situation happened to us about a month ago, where turning on the outside light made the robbers leave ASAP. Lack of the above, meant that we got robbed of E12000 worth of stuff though. :(

Sorry to hear of that. The front exterior door is quite well endowed with locks but the problem seems to be that the wood they are attached to is quite weak. The other problem is, because its part of an estate there are guidelines in place as to what varnish to use on the front doors so as to keep them all uniform, so my door will be replaced by another of the same quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »

What part of Galway are you in? I live in the city centre and there have been a few break-ins in some of the apartments and houses around me. Called the Gardai the other day because there were 2 guys hanging around checking out some of the houses. They were putting on gloves ( and i wasn't because it was cold :p) while looking through the windows, when they saw me looking at them they fecked off. Gardai came within 1min and searched the area but didn't find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

cmyk wrote: »
    Yep I was thinking about the phonewatch thing alright.
    Yep, always handy to get a call on your mobile telling you that your alarm is going off as you are being kicked to death in your own hallway by an Eastern European.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Yep, always handy to get a call on your mobile telling you that your alarm is going off as you are being kicked to death in your own hallway by an Eastern European.
    :D
    does it not call the Gardaí or something if you don't answer though?

griffdaddy wrote: »
    :D
    does it not call the Gardaí or something if you don't answer though?

Which isn't a lot of use, as it took them 45mins to get to us the first time through a 999 call!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

If that was me I would have the kettle on in no time, and I tell you they wouldn't come knocking/kicking again after suffering 2nd degree burns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

cmyk wrote: »
    He said he had 'the wrong apartment"
    What a cheeky bastard.
    "Oh right, carry on so... don't worry about the door." :rolleyes:

What about one of those bars that mounts at an angle between the floor and the door... I'm not sure what they're called, but they redirect inward force on the door upwards... I've seen cop shows where they have a hard time taking the door down with a metal ram... door-kicker ásshole would be all day trying to kick it in.

What a cheeky bastard.
    "Oh right, carry on so... don't worry about the door." :rolleyes:

What about one of those bars that mounts at an angle between the floor and the door... I'm not sure what they're called, but they redirect inward force on the door upwards... I've seen cop shows where they have a hard time taking the door down with a metal ram... door-kicker ásshole would be all day trying to kick it in.

Never heard of those, but I like the sound of them. Ill try google.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

My dad used to have these things on the shed outside where if you tried to open the door a very loud alarm rang out (valuable stuff kept in the shed...), and I mean very loud. You can buy them in most DIY shops and they have an on/off switch. So, if you go to bed during the day, just switch it on?

Advertisement