Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help setting up

Options
  • 11-11-2007 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I'm thinkin of buying a home cinema kit, but before commiting to buy it I need to know what cables I need and how to set it up.

I already have a TV with two HDMI ports, 2 Scarts and lots of other ports (red, blue, green, yeloow, white etc...)

I want to get:

A dvd player with HDMI (upscaling) - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=333552&view=detailed

A Amplifier with 2 HDMI input & 1 Output - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=333552&view=detailed

And an xbox 360 with a HDMI

Sky + Box, to connect to amplifier

Speakers - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=319888&view=detailed

what I would like to know is what cables would I need, I'd like everything to use HDMI but that wont work as the televison only has two ports and I need one for the DVD player and one for the Amp, so that leaves the xbox360, I wanted to be able to play through a HDMI but theres no room, what should I do???

And what cables do I need or will everything I need be included with the amp etc...?

Thank you very much,

Tim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

OK so If I gather all that directly here is what you are getting ,

A sky + box ,
    A hdmi DVD player
    A amp with 2 hdmi in and 1 out
    an X box 360

HDMI just interconnects equipment , and a standard sky + box does not have one , only the Sky HD box has one.

So that would mean you have enough HDMI ports , the amp takes in two inputs and switches them. letting you connect two devices to the TV using one of the TV's HDMI ports , the other one is free. From your list , it will be free as so far all the equipment is connected through the amps HDMI switcher.

That just leaves speaker cable , I cant say for sure if the set of speakers you are buying come with cable , but most dont , so go into any maplins , or even argos ( who have a nice 10m set of quality cable for 19.99 ) and buy the lengths you need.
    Good speaker cable should be 75 strand copper or better , pay no attention to all the guff about gold and oxygen free , just get solid 75 strand or better copper cable.

You will also need some optical cables , because while HDMI carries audio not all devices actually use this feature , the sky box will need an optical cable to the amp for 5.1 as even the HD box does not do surround over HDMI.
    You'll need to check the specs of your other equipment to see if they need optical cable for surround , as only a handful of players actually use all the features of the HDMI interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Tim131

Thank you very much, that clears up a lot of questions :)

Greatly appriciated

Advertisement