Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax and their crap ATM's.

Options
  • 11-11-2007 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I took 60 euro out of a Halifax ATM at Stephens green over 2 weeks ago and it STILL hasn't shown up on my online banking (I am an AIB customer)! This has happened me before.

Does anyone know why Halifax's ATM system is so rubbish? Do their records get processed via the UK? Although when I withdraw money abroad it usually shows on my statement within 2 days!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I usually notice any transactions at Irish ATMs show up instantly on my online banking, listing the location or ATM name even!

It did detuct your available balance though didn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

It may be something to do with Visa, as I think that's who the system is run through?

Having a visa debit card and all
    not sure why that would cause a delay though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

No, I don't have a visa debit card - I am with AIB, i used my AIB ATM card to withdraw money. Yes, the money seems to have been withdrawn from my account but the transaction takes weeks to show up on my statement!

Seems pretty crap!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I've noticed that their online banking seems a little slow - it's still not taken money away from mid-week (online purchases and withdrawals from an ATM).

AIB's will usually show ATM withdrawls straight away whilst showing debit card purchases in your balance instantly (but only in your transaction list after a day or so.)

Not sure why it's so slow, it's a bit annoying because it's harder to keep track of what your balance is.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

eth0_ wrote: »
    No, I don't have a visa debit card - I am with AIB, i used my AIB ATM card to withdraw money. Yes, the money seems to have been withdrawn from my account but the transaction takes weeks to show up on my statement!

Seems pretty crap!

Was it just a once off? If it was, it might just be a particular problem with that ATM/batch of transactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

No, every time i've used Halifax ATM's I have seen this, although this particular instance is the worst.
    It's a bad impression to leave with people who could have been thinking of switching to Halifax.
    Won't be using their ATM's again, I think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 siobhcc

Well, I have swicthed to Halifax and I am starting to regret it.
    The switching process was a total disaster- Direct Debits cancelled, not taken on the correct day and numerous other things. They even cancelled one of their own Direct Debits ( I have a car loan with them) and sent me a letter saying I was going to get charged as the DD had bounced

Also I rang them regarding cash withdrawals not showing for days (when I was with BOI they showed instantly regarding of the ATM) and the guy I spoke to was like "Yeah, mine is the same its a disaster isnt it"
    Ammmmm YES that is why I rang you!!!!

THe other issue I have is that your balance is never a true reflection of your balance.... its just confusing.:confused:

On the whole although their offers are good they need more knowledgeable staff to handle queries and to sort out their ATM process

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Yeah, apparently I have 70 in the account but only 15 "available"... they tell me this is because 55 is set aside to be taken by someone or other (for something I bought) but I can't for the life of me figure out what it could be... given that their online banking takes so long to update I probably won't find out for sure until the middle of the week but I'm 99% sure I didn't spend it.

So it looks like as a result of their weird system I can't access my own money for a few days.

Pain in the arse - a really bad set up IMO.

The only reason I set up a halifax account was for their Visa Debit Card - thankfully I didn't switch and if AIB brought out a visa debit tomorrow I'd likely drop my halifax account in a second; not impressed so far at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I dont seem to have this problem with mine. I think its quicker and better than when i was with AIB, like i used to get my wages in my account on Fridays, with Halifax their in my account on Thursdays. also if im paying a bill, like eircom using Halifax it doesn't take the money from my account till its actually sent through unlike aib which takes it and has it for 3to 5 days.

the money from interest is also nice :D

Advertisement