Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archos 605 Plug-ins

Options
  • 11-11-2007 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Morbid.Angel

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'm assuming these plug-ins are software based (if they are, i'm assuming there may be freeware ones). and also i'd say archos have a system that when you go to buy something off their american site it automatically changes the store to the country in your address.

as for the rip-offness there a whole load of factors that influence the price differences. VAT is a major one, as the american price won't have sales tax added on until you enter in your state (each state have different %age rates and they are usually single-figured rates eg - 5% in MA), whereas in ireland it's a hefty 21%.

anyways this is more of a consumer issues post, so i may have to move it there if the topic continues on with discussion of the price differences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

i have the 605 wifi.

it plays most avi's out of the box .. so you don't need to purchase anything to watch movies ( I haven't ) if you find something that can't be viewed (rare) simply convert with this http://www.pocketdivxencoder.net/

To browse the internet you must pay €29 some of which goes to the licence for opera browser, the interface uses your serial no, so I doubt you can buy from a different juristiction.

The wifi is enabled by default and allows you to stream movies etc from a media server on your network for free

More info here http://forum.archosfans.com/viewforum.php?f=25&sid=dbfadc9a9d2cbd0a81fd374067a185e4

Edit : I see you've been there already

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I purchased the Browser plugin - its essential really.

And i got the Cinema plugin. The Podcast plugin wasn't something i needed.
    I've read in the forums mentioned by zod above that the 4th gen models would have had the majority of these plugins included and hence the 4G models were more expensive. Only because of the decision by Archos to not include them as standard with the 5G models, are the players much 'cheaper' now, I think its a good idea as some plugins don't interest me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Morbid.Angel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeh, got the player from Canada.

I purchased the plugins via the UK site, and if I remember correctly this was because my debit card had a UK billing address. Had i used my Irish credit card, I expect it would have had my purchasing via the Irish portal.

I'm guessing you need a US / Canadian card if you want to buy the plugins cheaper, in dollars.

Advertisement