Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we go revert to walking on all fours?

Options
  • 11-11-2007 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭

There was a medical expert on Sky News (so perhaps they were a 'Super-Smashing-Great-Medical-Expert) talking about back problems.

This expert said that our backs aren't designed for 2 legged walkage, and that this is one of the main contributing reasons that many people suffer back problems during their lives.

So, in the interest of health and safety, should we return to moving around on all fours?

Should we revert to walking on all fours? 37 votes

Affirmative
    0%
    Negatory
    10%
    User45701jtsuitedBlowfishleninbenjamin 4 votes
    Trial Run
    54%
    WhiteWashManDEmeant0rAngryBadgervorbisUnpossiblekelleKilgore-Trout[Deleted User]DonkeyStyle \o/cooperguybiko5starpoolThirdfoxjohnnyrottenGLaDOSSusannahmiaStercus AcciditCionnfhaolaidhblegSpades 20 votes
    Thank you for crawling in, B,O,S,S,A,R,K,Y
    35%
    Mossy Monksuper_furryChad ghostaljimmycrackcormmise_me_feinhighlight100Crumble FrooJelloJesus WeptHQvhsOmanJimboLands Leaving 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

That's ridiculous. Apparently the reason humans are so evolutionary advanced is because we can walk on just two feet (and so use the hands to do stuff). Are you sure this expert wasn't an ape?

Try 'walking' on all fours for a day and see how your back feels, it will probably be aching after an hour. Seriously.

In summary, no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

The-Rigger wrote: »
    There was a medical expert on sky (so perhaps they were a 'Super-Smashing-Great-Medical-Expert) talking about back problems.

This expert said that our backs aren't designed for 2 legged walkage, and that this is one of the main contributing reasons that many people suffer back problems during their lives.

So, in the interest of health and safety, should we return to moving around on all fours?

Re So, in the interest of health and safety, should we return to moving around on all fours?

No way: the reason we stood up in the first place was that we got tired getting it up the ass a la doggy style:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

gonna have to amputate at the knee for that to work,
    or we could learn to use our feet more, like a prehensile(sp?) tail, actually that could work very well....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The family that walks on all fours: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/allfours/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Karoma wrote: »
    The family that walks on all fours: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/allfours/

Nov 14th, this thread is nicely timed, I'll get my 'cousins' to send that to me.
    gonna have to amputate at the knee for that to work,
    or we could learn to use our feet more, like a prehensile(sp?) tail, actually that could work very well....

Why on earth would you need to amputate. :eek:

Few knee pads/hand pads and you'd be grand.
    ircoha wrote:
    No way: the reason we stood up in the first place was that we got tired getting it up the ass a la doggy style

I don't think that would happen, the moral fiber of society wouldn't change.
    And wimmins look great on all fours.

• Advertisement

Nov 14th, this thread is nicely timed, I'll get my 'cousins' to send that to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1oAeFEcFQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXZdOaJOMc0

Meh. There should be a longer version floating around somewhere...
    It's not particularly informative, but it may interest you. I just don't really want to get into a quadrupedal -v- bipedal debate...
    its pretty retarded thats what he is just retarded my neighbors dog walks better on 2 legs than these fools. and it also walks better on 4 legs which means these people are ****tier than dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Woof.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

some days with a bad hangover, i find it hard to do anything but go around on all-fours.

ircoha wrote: »

No way: the reason we stood up in the first place was that we got tired getting it up the ass a la doggy style:D
    Terry wrote: »
    Woof.

Not everyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭quackquackBOOM

im converted
    i suffer from back pain
    any body knno were i can get a good pair of nike running gloves:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Caryatnid wrote: »
    That's ridiculous. Apparently the reason humans are so evolutionary advanced is because we can walk on just two feet (and so use the hands to do stuff). Are you sure this expert wasn't an ape?

Try 'walking' on all fours for a day and see how your back feels, it will probably be aching after an hour. Seriously.

In summary, no

Obviously the rantings of a NON-DRINKER :mad:

Of course we should be walking on all fours :rolleyes: Jeeze

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Negatory
    Finally sky news making it obvious that they are trying to hamper (and possibly reverse) evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

There was a medical expert on Sky News (so perhaps they were a 'Super-Smashing-Great-Medical-Expert) talking about back problems.

Actualy this applies to us Caucasians only. Our spines are quite curved.
    Africans have a straighter spine, more suited to walking on 2 legs, rarely suffer from lower back issues, and as a result can lift heavier loads without bent knees and straight back that could have the rest of us in traction for months.
    It is standard Health and Safety information in regards to Manual Handling.
    It was probably all that hanging around in caves avoiding snow and rain and stalactites that did it. ;) Brrrr
    So bend those knees when lifting, especially the seventh pint onwards.

It wasn't in relation to picking things up and people doing damage to their backs by not lifting correctly.

They were saying fundamentally our backs aren't designed for all this uprightness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Yes Op I agree we should revert to the pre-historic attitude we should also eat raw meat and not communicate in a single understandable language and while we are at it I have just clubbed you with my big stick and you are now my cave bitch.

welcome to pre-historic times:D:D:D:D

hmmm Interesting, there is an argument for the all-fours walking.

Can you provide a good reason for the raw meat/clubbing/non communication you speak of?

hmmm Interesting, there is an argument for the all-fours walking.

Can you provide a good reason for the raw meat/clubbing/non communication you speak of?

eh can you give me a reason for not eating raw meat and clubbing people:cool:

I think the "the rigger" is next on my clubbing list

Your arguments are well thought out and persuasive. :rolleyes:

I think you already drag your knuckles along the ground, this transition will be easy on you rob. ;)

Your arguments are well thought out and persuasive. :rolleyes:;)

I think you may be ready to join my secret society, how do you like your raw meat?

• Advertisement

Just cut off it's head and wipe it's arse.

Just cut off it's head and wipe it's arse.

you will lose at lose a lot of nutrients by wiping its arse

Rob_l wrote: »
    you will lose at lose a lot of nutrients by wiping its arse

O'RLY?! :D

no o'riley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I think it would be great if we could be on all fours! Look how slow we are, we're plodding along on 2 legs while 4 legged animals a fraction of our size (like rabbits) are leaving us in the dust. We can only jump 1/2 our own height max- cats, rabbits, gerbils, can all jump at least 3 times their own height. Even a heavy animal like a horse can jump their own height.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

LuckyStar wrote: »
    I think it would be great if we could be on all fours! Look how slow we are, we're plodding along on 2 legs while 4 legged animals a fraction of our size (like rabbits) are leaving us in the dust. We can only jump 1/2 our own height max- cats, rabbits, gerbils, can all jump at least 3 times their own height. Even a heavy animal like a horse can jump their own height.

Yeah but see how high they jump if you shoot them in the face with a gun.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

humans are not advanced
    our feet aren't much use compared to say a kangeroos
    men get hernias because we don't have the supportive membraes holiding our guts in that a biuiped should have

If we all emigrated to the moon or lost a little weight that would help but th eobvious answer is to go back into the trees where we yould use our hands more and less back pressure or strap helium baloons to our backs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

If we all emigrated to the moon
    slow down tubby your not on the moon yet

Oman wrote: »
    slow down tubby your not on the moon yet

NO DEAL McCUTCHEON!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Negatory
    i think we should develop an odd number of legs, preferably 3. one of the inefficiencies of 2 and 4 legs is that when moving at high speeds it's necessary to clear oneself from the ground. if we were to develop a system whereby we walked with three legs we could always keep one leg planted on the ground while the other two are moving and such use less amounts of energy that would be far better utilized elsewhere...

Advertisement