Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Targa battery won't charge

Options
  • 10-11-2007 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭

I did a search for this and got back 25 pages the first few of which didn't help me so I decided to post about it.
    I had a problem with a Targa lappie bought in June 2005 recently. I had to replace the adapter cable for it as it burnt out. When I got a new one (after a long wait) the battery wouldn't charge. It just stayed at zero percent even though it was plugged in for hours.
    I decided to replace it with a new one bought directly from Targa (I had to pay for it as the warranty only covered the battery for 18 months;or so they told me anyway).
    However the new one won't charge either. Before I ring them is there anything someone can suggest might be the problem as I have read there is some setting in the BIOS that affects it.
    It's not the new adapter as I have tried it with another new one and it doesn't work then either.
    It's weird because it recognises the battery and says it is charging under Power Management but it just stays at zero.
    Incidentally, while I was waiting for the new adapter I left the battery inside in the lappie which wasn't maybe the best idea as it took a while for the new adapter to arrive. Maybe that is what is causing it not to charge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Weird scenerio, new battery , new charger but battery not working...I'd contact targa again via email and see what they say.I've had a targa laptop before and their email replies are swift enough.
    strange problem though...keep us posted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Whatever connects the battery to the mains must be broken. I'd say you'll have to send it off to be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭lukin

Whatever connects the battery to the mains must be broken. I'd say you'll have to send it off to be fixed.

Yeah, that's one of the answers that came up after I googled it. It's something that has to be re-soldered on the m'board I think.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

lukin wrote: »
    Yeah, that's one of the answers that came up after I googled it. It's something that has to be re-soldered on the m'board I think.

If you go soldering this yourself you'll most likely void the warranty and could make things worse. Send it off to get fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭lukin

If you go soldering this yourself you'll most likely void the warranty and could make things worse. Send it off to get fixed.

I was tempted to give it to someone to do it as it will be gone for about two weeks if I send it to Targa but if it isn't done right and I have to give it to Targa after they'll know when they open it up so it's it's best to let them do it from the off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement