Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank free 100 euro

Options
  • 10-11-2007 5:01pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

So I opened an account with Ulster Bank as they promised me a free 100 euro, 50 in November, another 50 in January.
    What I'd like to know is when i can expect the first installment?
    I just checked my account statement online and there's no sign of it.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

As far as I know you have to complete 3 transactions for the first one and the same applies for the second....thats what I've heard from people around college....in fact Ulster Bank are taking over UL along with meteor:D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

3 transactions?
    Never mentioned anything about that when I was signing up.
    Sure I haven't a penny in there! Was planning on putting any in either!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭daniel3982

Is this a student thing or do they give it to anyone who joins?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I think the €100 could be a student offer but they are offering 150 if you switch your current account now and that is for anyone afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Yeah the 100 euro was if you opened a student account (which I did) but like the OP they were really sketchy about what I had to do with the account to get it, offered me zero literature when I opened it and have been worse than useless when I enquired at the branch about what I needed to do to get the money. Short end is they apparently are making it as easy as possible not to give you the 100 euro....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

ellscurr wrote: »
    Yeah the 100 euro was if you opened a student account (which I did) but like the OP they were really sketchy about what I had to do with the account to get it, offered me zero literature when I opened it and have been worse than useless when I enquired at the branch about what I needed to do to get the money. Short end is they apparently are making it as easy as possible not to give you the 100 euro....

That is such a pile of crap....

Use the account 3 times you get the bloody money. Its all in the flyer. Sketchy, i think the students are the ones that are sketchy.....

Use 3 times x2 = 100euro....nothing hard about that now is there :rolleyes:

I dunno....

Ok.
    so now I know I have to use the a/c 3 times.
    so do I have to use it 3 times, say before the end of November to get the money?
    I mean if November passes do I miss out on the chance to get the first 50?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

You miss out on the 100 euro as far as I know... It's just a matter of reading the terms and conditions of the offer really (I opened an account too).

One of those transactions has to be an ATM and you need to make a minimum of 3 transactions a month...for 18 months (?!?!?). Don't know how they'll enforce that rule as people can just close their accounts once they got their money.

I specifically enquired about the offer and wouldn't sign until they gave me assurances that the money would be put into the account even if I used my ATM card late (because they only sent me the card in November).

Lesson is: always read the small print!

ok.
    So I got an interest free overdraft as well.
    So If I use this overdraft to say, withdraw €10 three times, will I get the money?
    do I need to lodge anything?

You needed to have used your a/c 3 times in October too - if you did that then you should have your first 50 euro lodged into your account. If you didn't get that then I think you lost the offer... you should pop in and ask them about it (in a nice way :) - they don't have to give you the money now if you didn't comply with the T&Cs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Seriously people. Read what you're getting into.

There is no such thing as free and easy money, unless you run the M50 toll-booth.

bugger. Looks like I missed out. I'll still aim for the January money mind you.
    Still, the 650 interest free overdraft will go toward my credit card bill.
    No interest vesus a lot of interest. Makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

That is such a pile of crap....

Use the account 3 times you get the bloody money. Its all in the flyer. Sketchy, i think the students are the ones that are sketchy.....

Use 3 times x2 = 100euro....nothing hard about that now is there :rolleyes:

I dunno....

It's not 'crap' as you put it - it's the truth. Because of some technical issue when I was opening my account (not unlike 'the computer says no') the girl kept all the literature and would post it out to me. About a month later the ATM card arrived. I went to a branch and asked for the flyers on it....they didn't have any. So I went onto their website thinking I could download one or whatever and surprise surprise there were no details on that either.

No need to go shooting your mouth off at me.

He's right. by the time my atm card arrived it was well into november.
    and from what I read here that makes it impossible for me tto got the first 50.

When did you open your account? The free 100 euro offer lapses after October 30th...

ellscurr wrote: »
    It's not 'crap' as you put it - it's the truth. Because of some technical issue when I was opening my account (not unlike 'the computer says no') the girl kept all the literature and would post it out to me. About a month later the ATM card arrived. I went to a branch and asked for the flyers on it....they didn't have any. So I went onto their website thinking I could download one or whatever and surprise surprise there were no details on that either.

No need to go shooting your mouth off at me.

So let me get this right. You went into the bank to open the account. She said the computer did not work and she'll post things to you. What part of that has anything do to with not knowing the T&C's of the student offer :confused:

Just cause the computer did not work, all that meant was you would not find out the account number there and then. She was going to post out you account details later when the computer fixed itself.

So she kept all the literature. Did you not read what you signed? Its all there in black and white..... please read the T&C of something before you sign away.

Sorry was not being rude, just pointing out the fact the ignorance is not a defence. You seen the 100 offer and went to UB. They gave you the account and you did not follow the rules for the money. You did not need a card to lodge something. You don't need the card to take it out. Some id and a visit to the branch. ;)

The branch/website would not have any flyers/info cause the offer was over. You should have asked to talk to get the person whom opened the account. To have a refresher of the T&C's. Did you not ask someone when you where in the branch what you had to do to get the free cash...??

There are plenty of students, some 16000 who took up the offer. Plenty of them just for the cash...... Guess you loose out :p

...You seen the 100 offer and went to UB. They gave you the account and you did not follow the rules for the money. You did not need a card to lodge something. You don't need the card to take it out. Some id and a visit to the branch. ;)

...There are plenty of students, some 16000 who took up the offer. Plenty of them just for the cash...... Guess you loose out :p

Just a small correction - you do need the card as the terms and conditions state that one of the three transactions a month has to be an ATM transaction.

I'm one of those pedantic people who actually does read the full terms and conditions (much to the annoyance of the bank staff at the time - they just wanted me to sign! ;))

Hopefully it'll be worth it when I get my cash!

Correction noted. If i was a student i'd be taking the money too..... Free money?? Not something that comes around all the time.
    More of an issue of just signing things and not reading them and then giving out about it...

I wanted the halifax €100 credit card offer too (but they won't approve me :p)

Amazing what the banks were offering first year college students (I was working with one bank) - and amazing how many of the students a) turn down this once in a lifetime freebie b) take it but don't fulfil the requirements and lose out... ah to be a first year again ;). Great to see Ulster bank offering to more than just a 1st year.

There walking in off the street and getting 750euro....100free and a min 650 overdraft. 60% of those overdraft are written of as bad debt.... Exactly, to be a student again would be nice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement