Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what sat nav would be best for me?

Options
  • 10-11-2007 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am getting my first car next week and need some sat nav!!! I am an inexperienced driver and I have no sense of direction either..
    I am looking for a good sat nav set-up. I could spend maybe 400 at most on it. I am going to be getting one for the boyfriend aswell for Christmas.
    I need one that's easy to come by, easy to use, the maps must be excellent, and I need it to tell me when the traffic is bad. Also to tell me the fastest route (determined by either traffic or by miles). Can anyone recommend me one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Where are you based .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

LuckyStar wrote: »
    I am an inexperienced driver and I have no sense of direction either..
    Don't take this the wrong way but would you not be better off without a GPS giving you instructions at the same time as your trying to figure everything else out as well in your learning to drive? Also you do still need to have a decent sense of direction with a GPS so that you know when to ignore the clearly wrong instructions that they will always give you just when you least need it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I am based in Maynooth but work in Tallaght. Part of the reason of me wanting to get a sat nav, apart from the obvious was so I would hopefully have one less thing to worry about (ie, not getting lost!) while driving. The last thing I need is to be stuck without a clue where I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

So, anyone any reccomendations? Looking for a GPS unit in the same price range.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The Nuvi 350 would be an excellent choice. Comes with preloaded maps of Ireland, UK, and Eastern Europe all for €312 delivered. However this does not have Bluetooth.

Or it you don't need Europe, then the 610T might be a consideration at €284 delivered and also has Bluetooth and a 4.3 screen

Here are the comparisons between both

• Advertisement

I'm just wondering, why do people come on here and as for advice from others on what sat nav to get and when people come back with suggestions and offer advice, there never seems to be any thanks from the original thread posters.

Rant over now. Best of luck with which ever Sat nav you go for in the end.

Jaysus, hold your horses will ya.

610T looks like the one for me. Does the blutooth connection to a phone work well? Are they easy to add maps to if we ever do decide to use it in Europe? How do the Navteq maps compare to the others available?

Thanks btw ;)

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Jaysus, hold your horses will ya.

610T looks like the one for me. Does the blutooth connection to a phone work well? Are they easy to add maps to if we ever do decide to use it in Europe? How do the Navteq maps compare to the others available?

Thanks btw ;)

Yeah, the bluetooth is a good addition, however, with regards to adding maps, This can work out quite expensive for you. You would be best advised to get a model which has the european maps pre installed on it already.

The nuvi 360 might be a good option for you in that case. Bluetooth, UK & Ire along with Europe maps.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6291

Hmm, I'll have to ask the one with the creditcard if she is planning on dring around Europe anytime soon. Thanks for the help, that was easier than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

AFAIK the traffic information system doesn't work here, although I may be wrong.

• Advertisement

Yep, remember that from trying to get it to work with out radio :/

Are the speed camera locations on the garmin? Its not mentioned on the site?

Advertisement