Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty - How much is natural ?

Options
  • 10-11-2007 2:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering your thoughts on this, and its kind of a hard question to phrase so bear with me, but, ok say you had a bloke and a girl, and both of them were about a five on the 'good-looking scale', ten being the highest and one being the lowest, what effect can wearing the right clothes, and using the right products have on their score, in your opinion ?

A friend of mine swears that it has feck all effect, and that if a woman is good looking to begin with, then she could wear a potato sack and no makeup at all and still be good looking, and an ugly girl could dress better than a celebrity, but she'd still be a minger, but another one of my friends claims it has a huge effect, and that you could probably go from about a 2/10 to an 8/10 if you wear flattering enough clothes, and use good products.

Personally I think it can have a difference of about + or - 2 on how good looking you are, and can give you an edge, but only in a few girls or guys can it make a huge difference.

Also, as a side point to this, what would you rate yourself out of ten, being honest ? (No "I'm a ten, definitely, sure all yore ma's are after me" kind of thing :P) I'd probably put myself at about a 5 or 6 ! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

id say your a 5 and a 6 , 11 oh my god did i say that its no wonder im single

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

beauty is all in people's heads, no where else...

i find people's appearances like that spinning girl illusion... i can focus in on what i want and make them appear good looking or ugly depending on whatever. society just gives weight to certain traits, that fluctuate over time and culture anyway...

then again i probably am a bit soft in the head...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I think for girls it can make a lot of difference...there's so much make-up, good hair, etc can do. Guys don't have as much scope I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

yep deffo makes a big difference with girls,,,,,wouldnt know about guys now...being one n all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

I went to a very emotional wedding last week...

Even the cake was in tiers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

It can make a huge difference for birds.

I'm easy pickings for (desperate) well presented ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

ugly girl could dress better than a celebrity, but she'd still be a minger

Actually, I think a lot of '5's dress like celebs and end up lookng, rather than the 7's they're aiming for, more like 2's

There's nothing more unattractive than someone chasing someone else's ideal of beauty - their own beauty gets compromised beyond recognition :confused: And yet, there they are [edit - everywhere!]

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

...Even the cake was in tiers
    quote of the week.
    L O Fukin' L

back on topic, i would have thought that 'clothes make the man' and all that, that, well attitude first off, then clothes, can make an average guy look irresistable to the female of the species, (well thats what im hoping for, anyway)

and yes, you can get a few women who go all out for the glamed-up look, and end up looking rediculous, and a few who dont seem to bother at all, and look pretty much top of the list, but i think a little make-up can be a very good thing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Makeup? Pffffft! A grand smile and laughter can do much more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I think make up, hair, clothes and the rest can make a big difference........until you look closely. There's also the Cinderella effect the morning after. How often have you gone to bed with a 2-pinter and woken up with a 10? Wonderbras are the best and worst invention ever.

The most beautiful women I've ever seen were in Uraguay. The women in Brazil were fantastic too but the women in Uraguay had a more simple, natural beauty. It's not like they didn't wear make up but they made it look like they didn't need to.

Natural ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭daniel3982

I think a beautiful girl will be beautiful no matter what she wears, but a plain one can become beautiful if she dresses elegantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Good grooming can make a HUGE amount of difference to a girl's appearance.

It's something I wish I could perfect :( ugh, why didn't I master hair styling and foundation in secondary school like every other girl I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

its all personal taste aswell! one person might think the guy over in the corner is an 8 the other might think he is a 2 and so on!

defo tho with girls it makes a huge difference, theres this one girl i know and she is always look lovely going out, but without the makeup and the hair done you wouldnt know her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I think grooming can make a difference.... depending on the person,
    like some people are just fabulous all the time - even in a plastic bag and no makeup. Some people can look better made up / better natural.

Clothes can have a big impact on how a person looks.

For example, (I'd like to think) I would look better with my hair done, makeup on, and a pretty dress than (right now for example lol...) messy hair, no makeup, half awake, and garfield pjs.

edit-- emo!! said something quite right -- personal taste comes into it too, e.g. one of my friends may think a guy is really hot & I mightn't see it , or vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

If there was no make up, hair dryers, straighteners, fake tan, etc, things would be very different. A lot of 'beautiful people' wouldn't be thought of as so without them.

For men it's very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Obviously it depends on your view of beauty, but I think that putting a bit of effort into how you look can make a big difference if you're average looking. If you're dog ugly (and they do exist) sometimes even the effort wouldn't make much of a difference. (Sorry!)

With guys it's harder, but I definitely think that what a guy wears can make a huge difference. Even a nice t-shirt an a good pair of jeans. Oh, and unless you have great hair, do something with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Everyone's view of beauty is different and I would be of the belief that different people look beautiful to different people, if you know what I mean. You might think someone is gorgeous and see something in them but other people may not. Also, confidence or being comfortable in your own skin makes you appear more attractice because you believe you are.

Saying that, what really irritates me is that all those women in magazines and movies get a LOT of work done to them. A lot of people could look that good if they had that much work put in to themselves. Unfortunately real women have real jobs and lives and can't spend that much time on themselves. I think some men (i said some, not all!) fail to realise this and have very high expectations of what they're ideal women should look like, especially tabloid indoctrinated men who believe women should have huge boobs, tiny waists, blonde hair and low IQs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Id say many women leave their beauty stuck to their pillow after a night out.

For blokes it's very hard to improve i'd say a max 6, for women they can easily climb to an 8 with deceitful make up technique.

But lets be honest a plastered up woman is not even remotely beautiful to me personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

Anyone who dresses neat and classy is more likely to make a better first impression. Anything after that comes down to personality pure and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

A guy offered me €1000 for a blowjob last night so I must be at least a 3 or a 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

The BBC a few yeasr ago did a series of programmes about the mind, attraction and all that.

They got the same guy to parade in front of various women dressed both scruffily and acting like a "loser"..

he then came back dressed very smartly, and his body posture was totally different, he acted like a "winner"

In all instances the core out of ten was significantly higher when he was the second persona.

So not only clothes but the way you act is important

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

make up has a drastic effect on how women look. trust me half the models out there would scare the hell out of you if you seen them without it. and the clothes clinch the deal so women can very easily upgrade them selves on the OPs scale

blokes on the other hand dont really have that option. that said its amazing the effect fitted clothing can have on how you appear. its a ****ing nighmare in terms of cost but there is a visable difference in how you look .

personally i prefer the natural look though. the plastered on make up only really suits adverts and TV. theres just something infinetly more sexy about a girl that doesnt need it. ran into one of the girls from my local the day after a session who was too hung over to bother with the make up and she looked gorgeous with this lovely little dappling of freckles across her face. classic celtic look. its gas, she was mortified about it and all i wanted to do was drag her into the jax :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

Samba wrote: »
    But lets be honest a plastered up woman is not even remotely beautiful to me personally.

+1

In fact it's an active turn-off for me, a girl covered in makeup and hairspray and perfume and fancy clothes.

Casual natural look FTW. At least you know exactly what you'll be waking up beside in the morning! And a girl like that is less likely to be high-maintenance, with a suitcase full of issues, and no mind of her own. Barbie dolls are nightmares to go out with, generally speaking. And I just prefer the look anyway, I really don't think all the makeup stuff helps at all, it just looks plastic and fake to me. Highly unattractive, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Some people just make that little bit more effort which gives them the edge specialy if they are lacking in the looks dept and anybody can be made to look good , but i also think beauty is in the eye of the beholder .I find women who wear glasses attractive ,specially dark haired women .Somthing like this makeup-for-glasses-wearers.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Some women can even look good in a pink Nike tracksuit holding a gun.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5016/hdd46yu1.jpg
    http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/8250/hdd53qv8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

make up has a drastic effect on how women look. trust me half the models out there would scare the hell out of you if you seen them without it.

Exhibit A
    http://seehere.blogspot.com/2006/08/celebrities-without-makeup.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

There's no doubt that clothing, hairstyle and makeup do help.

But really if you find someone attractive you're going to fancy that person whether they are scruffy OR well-presented if you've got any idea about what's aesthetically pleasing to you.

The way a person behaves/comes across however is more important a factor than what they wear when it comes to attractiveness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Yea, they look just like the rest of us ie, your sister ,mother ,girlfriend , wife :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

What you're all saying about lads isn't true. A decent hair cut, new clothes, style etc can make a world of difference! Guys can jump from a 4 to an 8 like!

Advertisement