Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter or Autumn then?

Options
  • 10-11-2007 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

For some reason I always thought November 1st was the start of winter but some think it's 1 December. I looked it up on wiki and found that it's officially December 1 in the Northern Hemisphere but according to the "Irish calendar" it's 1 November. So why do most of my friends and colleagues (all in Ireland) think it's 1 December? I'm pretty sure I was taught the Irish way in school...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I was always told it was 1st November, I think. It's not like it matters anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

ofically, think its supose to be autumn, but feels like winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It's why we have to turn back the clocks in the first place that bugs me and millions like me .In the uk it is somthing to do with scottish farmers blah , blah .........honestly for fcuks sake :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

well i was always led to believe that november, december & january were the winter months.

but the bbc have a program on at the mo called autumnwatch, so i don't know:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

When the clocks go back GMT is officialy when winter time begins .....but it's being kind to us so far ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I was taught the astronomical seasons ...so for me it's still autumn
    Winter (89 days) begins on 21-22 Dec, the winter solstice
    Spring (92 days) on 20-21 Mar, the spring equinox
    Summer (93 days) on 20-21 June, the summer solstice
    Autumn (90 days) on 22-23 Sept, the autumn equinox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

when its brass monkeys outside you know its winter. which is now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I was taught the Irish seasons...

going to rain
    raining
    windy and raining
    depressingly dark, windy, cold and raining

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

I was a Summer baby - born in the the Month of May! :D And no-one can tell me different!

It's Winter now! At least it's winter where I live, the North West! November, December, January = Winter!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

peasant wrote: »
    I was taught the astronomical seasons ...so for me it's still autumn

If your going by the astronomical dates then surely those solstices and equinox mark the middle of each season not the start. Why would the start of summer be on the longest day of the year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

November is beginning of winter!! or so i was always led to believe..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

robinph wrote: »
    If your going by the astronomical dates then surely those solstices and equinox mark the middle of each season not the start. Why would the start of summer be on the longest day of the year?

Well, in southern Germany (where I come from) the weather does actually tie in quite nicely with the astronomical seasons.

In early June you can still get night frost (occassionaly) and the real "summer heat" only happens in July and particularly August.

Same with winter ...the really cold and frosty months are January and February and even early March.

I have to say though, over here in Ireland "my" seasons don't make that much sense any more

This seems to be more accurate:
    Winter begins on 5-10 Nov, Samhain,
    Spring on 2-7 Feb, Imbolc,
    Summer on 4-10 May, Beltane,
    Autumn on 3-10 Aug, Lughnasadh,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I would be of the opinion that December is that start of winter as I'd consider Dec, Jan and Feb as Winter. i hate this Feb is in spring crap.... it doesn't wash with me! Saying that it is fecking freezing and very wintery outside, but still. November = Autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Winter is Dec-Feb and anyone who tells me Febuary is Spring is an idiot. Feb is the coldest month of the year!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

latchyco wrote: »
    It's why we have to turn back the clocks in the first place that bugs me and millions like me .In the uk it is somthing to do with scottish farmers blah , blah .........honestly for fcuks sake :rolleyes:

Try pretending you didn't turn the clock back some morning in december when the kids are off to school and it's still f*ckin' dark at half nine in the monring.
    It's not just for farmers (although that's who it was introduced for) it's for anyone that works where light and temperature are important. It's also got a large role to play in road safety, the extra hour in the morning allows for people to drive on freezing ropads that have had an extra hour to thaw, along with the increased light levels.
    What's the point in it being bright till 5.30pm when it hasn't gotten bright till 9.30am?
    Because you live in London the percieved length of dark hours is less, but move a few degrees north and you see a difference in twilight times.
    Maybe London should just stick with BST all year round...never mind what the rst of the UK is doing...

On topic: I consider FebMarApr as spring, MayJunJul as summer, AugSepOct as autumn, and NovDecJan as winter. Our recent changes in climate notwithstanding...seasons are nothing to do with the weather....it's to do with the tilt of the earth's axis.

Wertz its the tilt of the earth that gives us the coldest weather in Febuary. Cold like heat is a lagging indicator of the tilt (sort of darkest just before dawn effect).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Oh I know why, same reason as 5am is the coldest time of the day on average.
    My point is that just because it doesn't feel like a season, doesn't mean that it isn't that particular season...

Fair enough thats true and many a "winters" day has been milder than 3 months later (April is the cruelest month).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

I only just learned about this whole Irish seasonal calendar (very odd imo, being american). I was still over there last week and it just felt like a rainy autumn. Now I'm back in Boston and my breath is already freezing and there's frost in the morning *shivers* Lucky for me I love the snow. Over here winter = dec, jan, feb even though there's usually still snow into the beginning of april ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Archeron

This is a new and uniquely Irish season called "Munter". All the cold of winter combined with the angry wind and driving rain of Autumn.

Irish weather rocks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I thought winter started in Nov-Jan, but February is always the Coldest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

mike65 wrote: »
    Fair enough thats true and many a "winters" day has been milder than 3 months later (April is the cruelest month).

Mike.

plus i do remember a time a few years back when it snowed in may :D

Advertisement