Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The News

Options
  • 10-11-2007 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

Since I moved abroad and I don't speak the language I have no clue what goes on here, and in Ireland I know the top 3 headlines on rte.ie and nothing else. I gotta say, life is good with no news. Belgium could be being run by giant ants and I'd have no idea. Obviously its hard to avoid if you speak the local language but here, its blissful ignorance. I don't think I'm missing out on anything.
    What do people gain from tuning in every day and hearing about murders, natural disasters, robbery, corruption, blah blah. What do you get out of it? Do you need to know? Does it make life better hearing about all this misery every day? If something affects me, I'll find out about it, otherwise bah!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Fooz

I like to know what's going on in the world rather than live in my own little bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Fooz wrote: »
    I like to know what's going on in the world rather than live in my own little bubble.

Why though!? Bubbles rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

but but but what can you moan about if you dont know what's going on!!! you Irish, sure ya have to moan every 30 minutes, it's part of your genetic code!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Fooz

I'm nosy :D

Seriously, there's more to this world than just me and it can be nearly as interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I only watch the news to have a perv at Sharon Ni Bheolain. All that guff about wars, death and misery is just annoying background noise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

zuutroy, I've got news for you

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

Oh crap, we're gonna become part of Holland. I already lived there and didn't like it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

but but but what can you moan about if you dont know what's going on!!! you Irish, sure ya have to moan every 30 minutes, it's part of your genetic code!!!!

you can't beat a good ol' moan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

oooh quick lads! now's our chance to finally become a colonial power! lets get in before them damn dutch... all we need to do is escalate the immigrant unrest sure to distract them. sure the IRA could do that, blame it on a suicide bomber!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Could base a whole empire on beer, chocolate and chips with mayo. :D

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

I hear ya Zuu. I'm constantly getting e mails from mates about local floods, miltary coups, insect overlords and so on but they have seen more of it on sky news than I have in the area.

Ignorance is bliss. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Who needs "Dirty Laundry? (as sung by Don Henley in an old song)?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭daniel3982

When I lived in Germany I bought the Guardian everyday even though it was costing me 100 euro a month! The BBC World service was good everynow and then but only for a few hours otherwise it repeats itself, then there was the net. I cant live without the news, even if I go away for a few days it feels like the World is passing me by :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

I moved abroad and I don't speak the language
    what do you do all day then?

Language at work is English, and everyone here speaks it perfect so no bother....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fooz wrote: »

If you didn't you'd be like the vast majority of America :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Zuutroy you are better off .All that rubbish each day .What does it do but overloads us with stuff we can do nothing about and if anything makes us feel glum .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I used to read the Indo everyday on unison.ie, i was only living in Belfast though, and i spoke the language. (sort of!)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It has to be said that if you dont want to know anything about the outside world; live in America.

EDIT: A COUNTRY WITHOUT A GOVERNMENT? INVADE!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The world really is a brighter, happier place without the media. At most I get the rte and breakingnews headlines off google and the 6.1 news.

Every time I read the Sun and it's like these days I just have to laugh. They talk such horrid **** and it's so over the top I can't take one word they print seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I worked in Amsterdam for a year. Didn't speak Dutch, no internet access at work, no PC at home. Would occasionally make a stab at reading one of the short articles in the local Metro, and any major international news you'd pick up from colleagues. But apart from that no idea what was going on. It was great.

Came home for a weekend, taxi driver from the airport kept going on about the floods in East Wall. Listened politely for about 10 minutes, then asked him what year all this had happened. Got a funny look off him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Not listening to or reading the news is highly impractical; what if today had been your first day in a new job and you went to get the 13 or 13A into town only to belatedly learn that there was a strike and neither of those buses were running? You'd be in deep sh*t then.

Just one scenario. Blissful ignorance...nice idea, just wouldn't work.

Advertisement