Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticket selection advice

Options
  • 09-11-2007 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Sorry for starting a thread dedicated to my own issues but if someone could help me out, thanks...

I'm going to be taking the Maynooth line into town for work most days for the next few months and just looking at my options. Annual tax-saver ticket isn't an option because I won't be travelling for enough of the year and besides, I'm technically barred from the scheme. Cash fare is EUR2 so pay per journey is max EUR20/week or 5 day returns is 5*EUR3.60=EUR18. "7 day Rolling Rail" is E16.50 and the cheapest monthly ticket (short hop) is E85.50, which would I think cover me for the DART as well, should I decide to try it out. This information wasn't straightforward to extract from the http://irishrail.ie website so I may have missed the page describing the sensible ticketing system.

Am I right to say the 7 day tickets are my best option if I expect to have a 10 journey week but if there's a possibility of me missing even one trip, single/day tickets become a cheaper option? Is it really cheaper to buy weekly tickets than monthly? Is there a limit to how many weekly tickets I can buy at a time or how far in advance I can buy one - or do I have to buy a fresh one each Monday.

If I can do it, I was thinking just buying a stack of one-day tickets might be sensible and using them when I expect to get the train home, just buying EUR2 singles in the morning when I don't - I used to do this for the bus as I very rarely managed a perfect 10 journey week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

You can't buy train tickets in advance - i.e. you have to use them on the day you buy them (or within 7 days for a 7 day etc.) There is also a three-day ticket option which may be of use (certainly for the DART services this is the case), but otherwise the seven day is probably the handiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Tickets can be bought up to 3 months in advance but they must be used on the date printed on the ticket, i.e you ask the clerk for a ticket for day x

They don't sell monthly tickets in advance really, you can only get them in the last 2 weeks of a month

Always found these guys to be useful http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/fares_matrix.php

Advertisement