Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's build a monorail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Slice wrote: »
    http://www.monometro.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOQyFYXQSEQ

While surfing I came accross this so I googled it some more. It sounds like a complete novelty but I thought the rest of you would be interested in seeing it.
    Dont they have something simular in London, The Docklands light rail I think it is spends alot of time in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

"Is there a chance the track could bend"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Stekelly wrote: »
    "Is there a chance the track could bend"?

Not at all my Hindu friend!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's what we should have built instead of the Luas, there would have been a lot less disruption to traffic and the road could still be used fully after it was built. One was suggested as a possibility for linking up the two lines but I think the main objections had something to do with the pylons obscuring the view of the likes of Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

oi didnt they do this in the simpsons........didnt work out to the best of my knowledge

funny I was actually thinking about this the other day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

John_C wrote: »
    Not at all my Hindu friend!

<pedant>Not on your life my Hindu friend</pedant> :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

spareman wrote: »
    Dont they have something simular in London, The Docklands light rail I think it is spends alot of time in the air.

its a great network in london. The DLR (Docklands Light Rail) is completely automated, and goes both above and underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

faceman wrote: »
    its a great network in london. The DLR (Docklands Light Rail) is completely automated, and goes both above and underground.
    Yes thats the one, I couldnt get over the fact there was no Driver. Its a very good system.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭zanardi

It would have the same efffect on the skyline as the ambitious Heuston-Liffey cable car scheme:

http://tinyurl.com/ysu6l3

Apart from the massive cost it has a major bonus in that the smell of urine in the station entrances will get blown away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

woop wrote: »
    oi didnt they do this in the simpsons........didnt work out to the best of my knowledge
    Yeh - we should do it! It would fit right in with all our other stuff that doesn't work properly.

(sings) MONORAIL! MONORAIL! MONORAIL! Mono - D'oh!
    :D Had to be done...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

No! NO!!! Not another mode of transport PLEASE!!! :(:(:( Wed then have Suburban Trains, Commuter Trains, Trams, Buses, Underground Metros maybe even CABLE CARS!!! then a monorail!! ARGH! Why cant we just choose our most succesful mode and expand it! WHHHY!!!!!

Funnily enough with all these youd think public transport wouldnt suck ass :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

We'd finally be as cool as Ogdenville, North Haverbrook, and Brockway!

*ducks*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Modes of transport are like shoes - you can never have too many

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Enough Simpsons quotes people!

Had a look at the vid. Pretty impressive. I like the narrow profile of the rails, they would cause little shadowing on the street below. Only major issue is that it's probably overspecced for anything smaller than a major city - even in a city like Dublin it would be out of scale for our lowrise streets. Imagine one of those going down O'Connell St - it would be higher than all the surrounding buildings.

Advertisement