Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use Wikipedia more than Google?

Options
  • 09-11-2007 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Ive been doing some research there and I realised I was going straight to Wiki and bypassing Google. Now I know Wiki can be edited but when Google throws up a Wiki page as its first choice most of the time why not cut to the chase?! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

No I use google much more than wikipedia but like you said, if I search for something and the wikipedia page shows up, it's usually the first one I open.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I always refer to wiki through google. Like if I wanted, say, some stats on the cultural diversity of Turkey, i just go to google and type 'turkey wiki'. Simple as

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

google mainly. i'm finding wikipedia less reliable anyway these days, or maybe its just because i'm becoming more vigilant to unsourced resources...

edit: its for threads like these that we need a general education forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Yep, all the time. Got a wiki search on my toolbar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I always refer to wiki through google. Like if I wanted, say, some stats on the cultural diversity of Turkey, i just go to google and type 'turkey wiki'. Simple as

I do that too :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have keywords set up on firefox for wikipedia.

I use wikipedia if I want to find out what something is, or briefly read up on a particular topic.

If I want to find out anything else (such as HOWTOs or WHERETOs etc), then I use Google.

For example, if I have a query on RAID such as "What is RAID 2?", then I'll type "wiki RAID" into the address bar (God bless keywords). If I want to find out what's a good RAID card or how to install RAID 2 on ubuntu linux, then I'll google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Google ftw, not much pron on wiki :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Da Funky Munky

edit: its for threads like these that we need a general education forum.

Eh?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'll always check Wikipedia first, which is a bit strange because i know it's not %100 reliable, but hey, it's easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Yep, all the time. Got a wiki search on my toolbar :D

They have those?

Yippee:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Google, why?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    No I use google much more than wikipedia but like you said, if I search for something and the wikipedia page shows up, it's usually the first one I open.

Thats what i do too.

I can't use anything from Wiki in a college essay and that's kinda the only reason I'd need it in the first place so when I'm thinkng of searcing for something, that's not college related Wikipedia rarely even comes into my mind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

If a reference comes up, that I'm not familiar with, or if I want a basic overview of something, then, yeah, I usually go straight to wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

seamus wrote: »
    I use wikipedia if I want to find out what something is, or briefly read up on a particular topic.

If I want to find out anything else (such as HOWTOs or WHERETOs etc), then I use Google.

For example, if I have a query on RAID such as "What is RAID 2?", then I'll type "wiki RAID" into the address bar (God bless keywords). If I want to find out what's a good RAID card or how to install RAID 2 on ubuntu linux, then I'll google it.

I'm the same. If I want to find out how to do something, or where tob uy something, or get reviews, google.

If I want to check out some detail of trivia, or get a general overview of something, wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

watna wrote: »
    I'll always check Wikipedia first, which is a bit strange because i know it's not %100 reliable, but hey, it's easy!

it's 99.794% reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

It depends but if I'm looking for info or a definition I almost always go to Wikipedia first

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wouldn't use wikipedia anywhere near as much as I use google.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭echter

i edit wikipedia.

just goes to show how unreliable it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 paddymorrison

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    I do that too :p
    Same here! The wiki search does not correct spelling which is really annoying as I can't spell most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I use google to search wiki - the wiki search is useless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Use google far more.

I edit wikipedia and use it quite frequently for most topics. But some articles are completely unreadable due to the amount of [citation needed] tags. Plus the zealots who insist on editing computer related articles to change megabytes to mebibytes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

If I'm on the mobile I go to Google and type 'whatever wiki'; if at a PC I use Firefox and type 'wp whatever' in the address bar. Which obviously means it's Wiki most of the time.

/ <3's the built-in 'wp' bit that came with his Firefox

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

To get a brief overview of something, I use Wikipedia. I'd never use it as an actual source for a writter document though.

I still use Google more, because I google my entire life (eg. "What will I have for dinner +chicken" kind of things).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pocketac3s

I use answers.com - combines google and wiki and a ton of other encyclopedias and what not - so good its my homepage!

now thats an endorsment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i think i use wikipedia more often.

Advertisement