Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski Clothes for my first skiing trip

Options
  • 09-11-2007 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi

I am going on my first skiing holiday and some people have recommended hiring clothes at the ski resorts instead of buying them in Ireland. Should I buy ski clothes before I go or can you hire them at the ski resort?

Bare in mind that this is my first ski holiday and if I don’t like it, it maybe my last. So I don’t want to spend a fortune on ski clothes and never use them again.

Are there any essential items I need to get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

TKmaxx are really cheap for ski clothes - so it would be better to purchase than rent someone elses clothes... (eww In my opinion)

Here's a brief pricelist;

Bottoms; 50euro
    Jacket; 70euro
    Gloves; 20euro
    Socks; 20euro
    Goggles; 30euro

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

I wouldnt recommend having a big list of things to hire out when you get to the ski resort - theres a lot to get used to on your first ski trip - hiring the ski gear and getting fitted for boots - never mind the skiing itself! So the less other things you need to do the better.

When I first went skiing i was lucky to be able to borrow a few bits from other people so think about whether you know anyone who has skied.

And another point is that a lot of ski jackets can be worn as sporty type jackets at home too so if your buying dont get som mad coloured one that cant be worn at home!

Also in terms of gear aswell as what has been mentioned above a pair of 'long-johns' or leggings to go under your ski -pants might be a good idea depending on how cold your resort is. Maybe wear them the first day and if they are too hot dont wear them after that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Don't get too caught up in trying to get specific ski type clothing. The only thing that you do need that is specific to skiing is the sallopetts and you may be able to borrow a pair from a freind. Everything else you may already have something similar that will do the job perfectly well, except for the goggles, so don't go spending too much money on fancy gear if your not certain that you'll ever go again.

Have a look in the likes of TKMaxx to see what they have though, looking in somewhere like Great Outdoors will probably just scare you with the prices though although will give an idea of what you'll be wanting next year when you do go back again and again and again. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

robinph wrote: »
    Don't get too caught up in trying to get specific ski type clothing. The only thing that you do need that is specific to skiing is the sallopetts and you may be able to borrow a pair from a freind. Everything else you may already have something similar that will do the job perfectly well, except for the goggles, so don't go spending too much money on fancy gear if your not certain that you'll ever go again.

Excellent advice.

As an example, despite living in Switzerland and being a regular skier, I still haven't spent a fortune on kit.

For the first 2-3 years, rather than using a ski-jacket, I used a lined fleece. Yes, snow stuck to it like bejaysus, making me look like a yeti after my inevitable learner's falls, but it worked. Also - we joke over here that you can identify the tourists as being the people wearing designer-label ski-wear ;)

I switched to another old winter jacket for a year or so (cause it was less "snow-sticky"), then finally got a proper ski-jacket when I found one that was dirt-cheap enough :)

For ski-socks, I mostly use hiking socks that I pick up in Dunnes when I go back to Ireland. Cheap, warm, have that whole "two-layer" design which helps fight blistering....brilliant. I find them better than my actual ski-socks (which I've been given as presents).

Goggles....still don't have any. I wear sunglasses that wrap my eyes well, and I'm fine with that, but its not everyone's game. At the very least, goggles are amongst the easy things to pick up cheaply at a resort.

Gloves...you need good gloves. Good doesn't mean expensive, but it does mean waterproof and warm. Even if they're waterproof, you'll still probably want to spray them with additional waterproofing (make sure to use a GoreTex-suitable spray if they are GoreTex gloves) and even then you'll still probably need to stick them near the radiator at night to dry out. Also - make sure they fit well - neither too tight nor too loose.

About the only expensive-ish stuff I have (besides my new skis) are a pair of turtleneck long-sleeved tops I picked up a few years ago in Great Outdoors. I wear those, with a shirt/t-shirt over them - cause it makes it easier to take off layers that way :)
    looking in somewhere like Great Outdoors will probably just scare you with the prices though although will give an idea of what you'll be wanting next year when you do go back again and again and again. ;)

Looking somewhere like Great Outdoors will also give you a very good idea of what they type of stuff you're looking for is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Maire2007

Great Advice! Thanks for all the information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Lidl have ski gear next week I think - here. €30 for a pair of ski trousers is a pretty good deal - even if they're not great, they should be good enough for your first week and won't break the bank.

I don't have any flashy new gear either, but make sure you have good gloves - you'll be falling a lot and if they get wet you'll be miserable. Remember, if you go a day without falling then you haven't been skiing hard enough slopes!

Wraparound shades are fine as well, but I do confess to being a goggle fan - and I reckon they're worth the investment, but you could always get them on day 2 of your holiday for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

There's been a lot of good advice but the sunglasses thing is crap, sunglasses are a joke on a slope, especially if you are a beginner because you are falling a lot they keep coming off and you stand out as a newbie.

Gloves make sure they are they are water proof. Nothing worse than wet gloves, they'll make you feel very cold.

Football socks also work as a good cheap alternative to ski socks.

Most resorts will not rent googles, gloves or socks.

Get pants and a jacket in TKMaxx, it won't be spyder but it'll do the job and it'll cost a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Diemos wrote: »
    There's been a lot of good advice but the sunglasses thing is crap, sunglasses are a joke on a slope, especially if you are a beginner because you are falling a lot they keep coming off and you stand out as a newbie.
    lol... eh no. Falling over a lot makes you stand out as a newbie not the sunglasses. Plus if you get proper lessons you shouldn't fall over *that* much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

With me, I was always just very consious of the sunglasses breaking and sticking me in the eye! paranoia more than anything else.

Alot of my friends who Ski, wear sunglasses because well its rare enough that they fall over but ALL my friends who snowboard wear goggles because when we do fall over we usually fall hard so we tumble alot. I like the fact that they cant come off my head easily enough and they also give me comfort in the fact that if I catch an edge and faceplant my goggles wont smash or come apart in my face :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I used to wear prescription sunglasses as it is far too uncomfortable to wear your glasses under a pair of goggles despite the claims that they might make about them fitting together OK. Since I've got contact lenses though I much prefer to wear goggles instead of any sunglasses as the visibility is much better. There is something about the tint of the goggles lenses that helps you see the snow much clearer than if your just using a dark lense of the sun glasses. You can get different shades of lense for goggles depending on the weather to help with seeing things better still but I've been fine with just the standard orange that mine came with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

Don't forget the importance of good ski socks ! Football socks just won't cut it, or two pairs. Proper socks can be a good way to protect your feet from blisters.

The stuff from Lidl is normally okay, seeing as you are only going to be using it for maybe 7 days every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lunapark

yeh tkmaxx is unbelievable for quality snow gear at cheap prices...its where everyone goes to get their stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I disagree Pablo, a proper fitting boot that has been broken in off the slopes and you won't get any blisters, period.

Ski socks are designed mainly to take moisture away from your foot and prevent you from getting cold feet from damp wet socks, football socks do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Imo, football socks (hiking socks or other thick socks) can be as effective as cheap ski socks in doing all the things Diemos says but more expensive ski socks do have extra cushioning to cushion the foot and leg from problems friction caused by the boots. Most beginners will rent boots and probably not want to spend much if any money on what can be expensive ski socks so imo football socks are as good as a cheap ski socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Aldi have some ski wear on offer this thurs.
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week48thursday07.htm
    just wondered what people thought of the quality of the gear?
    Skiing isnt something I'd say will be a regular holiday.
    this is my first time but I have very dodgy knees.

Also everyone recommends you dont skimp on the gloves, are the Aldi ones warm and waterproof enough?

Any good online sites that one could buy the ski wear from?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I've bought stuff in Aldi before, I always thought it was fantastic for the price. Nothing ever fell apart or left me bare. Especially if you don't think it'll be a regular thing, go for it. I never bought gloves there, but a friend of mine bought a jacket and thought it was perfect.

These are actually the boots I recommended in another thread, they're great things:

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_4155.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 skno1

Hi, Im in the same boat in relation to buying/renting ski-wear. Ive been told to buy the gear if I can as, quite often, the rentals may not be the best or most hygenic etc...
    Get yourself over to 53 degrees north in Blanchardstown, it is the factory outlet branch for this store. Very good bargains on ski-wear at the moment (much of which can be worn for everyday casual wear). While TK-max is great value, Patagonia (exchequer st) have an unbelievable (up to 75% off !!!) sale on at the moment on ski wear.
    Hope this helps and enjoy the skiing/snowboarding :-)

Advertisement