Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former braces wearer needs braces again, help!

Options
  • 09-11-2007 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey all, I need some advice.
    4 years ago I had train-tracks removed to reveal, of course, perfect teeth. I had suffered severe overcrowding of both my upper and lower jaw.
    I was given a removable retainer and was sent on my way. Stupidly, I know, I never returned for a checkup. Its been ages now and my wisdom teeth have come down fully (without pain etc) and have pushed my teeth quite a bit. I did ask my dentist if my teeth would be affected by the wisdom teeth but he said they were coming down at the right angle and they wouldnt affect them at all.

The reason Im posting this is to find out how much my wisdom teeth removal and the re-setting of braces will cost. I'll go to my orthodontist in due course but that'll cost a bit too. I need collate apporximate figures before I go and tell the 'rents :(

Oh and if anyone knows of a way of straightnening your teeth without the appilication of train-tracks that'd be perfect too :o...

Hope someone can help me on this, Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Please search the forum for other threads about wisdom teeth and crowding. Consensus seems to be that they do not cause crowding, no matter what angle they are erupting at.

The real reason for your relapse is likely due to not wearing your retainers. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I just think it is important for people to take responsibility for their own health issues, when appropriate.

To answer your question, you will likely have to pay for another full course of orthodontics, roughly between €3500-€6000 (sometimes more depending on the case) in Dublin. You may also require wisdom tooth removal, roughly between €80-€250 per tooth (again sometimes more depending on the tooth).

If you attend your previous orthodontist (and you were a private patient the first time around), they may redo the work at a discounted rate; I have heard of this happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 minxy

hey there,
    my cousin had her train tracks off but kept loosing her retainers.After a few years her two front teeth started to return to their original state.5 years went by and she ended up working for a dentist who wrote a letter to her old orthodontist entailing that it was his responsibility to redo her teeth free of charge.She went back and he put the train tracks back on.It worked for her.It might be an avenue to look into for you.
    hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 littlemisshel

Hi there,

Check out Invisalign Fist though .. i did ... Bloody great for people who dont like wearing braces .. best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bray Girl

I go to a Frances Brandon in bray, costs €4,500, i was told they would take 1.5yrs but 2yrs later I still have them on and no sign of getting them off yet. I find the dentist and the people in her practice very rude and inflexible about time tables and I have often been kept waiting half and hour for an appointment-grrrrr

Advertisement