Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1330- A few quick queries for M1330 owners

Options
  • 09-11-2007 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hey thanks for your time reading this, i have an xps m1710 and no doubting it is an awesome machine but due to the nature of my work i'm on the move the whole time and its getting cumbersome bringing it everwhere so thinking about selling/trading it and getting an m1330 with pretty high spec. Now my questions are:

1. Does the 9cell battery protrude out the back of machine making it awkward and heavy?

2. Is there an IR Port? and following on from that is there a remote included?

3.Is there a HDMI Port?

4.Is there some kind of slipcase included?

5.Is the biometric reader any good?

6.As regarfds the screen and the webcam, which is the best option? was kinda confused that the seemingly better screen (the lcd) has a poorer webcam, that has me kinda confused.

If anyone could answer these queries, that would get me out of a bind, thanks a mil

and any other comments welcome also :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3787&review=XPS+M1330

The usual default is...
    13.3-inch WXGA screen with LED backlight
    "Crimson" red paint, "Tuxedo" black or "Pearl" white
    2.0GHz Core 2 Duo T7300 processor, Santa Rosa chipset (up to 2.4GHz available)
    2GB DDR2-667 SDRAM (up to 4GB DDR2 SDRAM available)
    160GB 5400 RPM SATA HDD (32GB SSD drive available)
    Slot-loading dual-layer DVD±RW drive
    128MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 8400M GS
    WWAN option for Verizon
    Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n (Intel 4965), Bluetooth option
    Integrated VGA webcam
    HDMI, VGA, 1394, two USB 2.0 ports, integrated media reader (MS, SD, xD), fingerprint reader
    Media Center remote located in ExpressCard slot
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Dimensions 12.5" x 9.4" x 0.87" - 1.33"
    Weight starts at 4 pounds with 6-cell battery

1. The 9-cell does protrude, it does with my M1210 as well but not with the bigger 17" laptops.

2. Nobody really bothers with IR anymore, it has Bluetooth and Wireless 802.11a/b/g/n (EDGE optional)

3. It does have a HDMI port... good to know.

4. A little slipcase is usually included although it probably wont fit with the 9 cell (get the 9 cell regardless)

5. I've heard good things about it alright, I love the idea of the feature.

6. Go for the WXGA screen with LED backlight, the camera is much much better in this model, 2MP and very useful to say the least - esp. if you MSN a lot.

I'm looking to upgrade to one too, it looks sooooo tasty! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

Auggie,Thanks a million for the quick reply! it prob does come with IR if it has that remote. Anyone know what its like for gaming? i know the modern games are resource hungry. Thinking about getting 4 gigs of RAM but i've been reading that vista wont read that much or something but will prob be getting 64 bit anyways!!

Vista can read up to 4GB of RAM so your grand there, 4GB will cost a lot of money though.
    The M1330 includes an infrared remote that stores in the express card slot - this is pretty neat. But note that it doesn’t charge from the slot - it uses a clock battery instead. The remote button presses appear as standard key events on the main keyboard device - so no additional drivers are necessary.
    Interfaces / Networking
    USB - 2
    Firewire -1
    PC Card - 2
    Ethernet - Yes
    Infrared - Yes
    Bluetooth - Yes
    Wireless networking - Yes
    Modem - 56K
    Other - 8-in-1 flash memory reader supporting Memory Stick, SD, SDIO, SDHC, SDHD, MS, MS Pro, MMC and xD

Awh cool, Ye i realise it'll cost a goodbit but i'll prob be getting the VAT back etc and all depends how i get on selling on my m1710, although it will be hard to part with, sentimental value and all that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

you cant get led and a 2.0mp webcam
    the 2.0mp webcam is useless,
    get the white led one screen.

and when you do decide to buy,
    get it from this guy -
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Dell-XPS-M1330-2-20GHZ-4-GB-DDR-200HD-CAMERA-4YR_W0QQitemZ110187582127QQihZ001QQcategoryZ177QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i got my m1210 from him and saved closed to a 1000eu
    the m1330 above comes to 2700 if you spec it up on dell...

• Advertisement

Selling an XPS Dell is like selling a Mercedes... you won't loose too much money.

Thanks lads, well hopefully it'll sell anyways, they are a serious piece of hardware!
    Subway been looking at that guys stuff alright on ebay, looks like a winner, will look into it THANKS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

The nine-cell battery version still fits in the slip-case. A friend has one with it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you do go for 4GBs of ram of dell. They will only rip you off. You can get it for cheaper elsewhere and install it yourself. Also unless you are using a 64bit OS, windows will only be able to see around 3.5GBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Hey thanks for your time reading this, i have an xps m1710 and no doubting it is an awesome machine but due to the nature of my work i'm on the move the whole time and its getting cumbersome bringing it everwhere so thinking about selling/trading it and getting an m1330 with pretty high spec. Now my questions are:

1. Does the 9cell battery protrude out the back of machine making it awkward and heavy?

2. Is there an IR Port? and following on from that is there a remote included?

3.Is there a HDMI Port?

4.Is there some kind of slipcase included?

5.Is the biometric reader any good?

6.As regarfds the screen and the webcam, which is the best option? was kinda confused that the seemingly better screen (the lcd) has a poorer webcam, that has me kinda confused.

If anyone could answer these queries, that would get me out of a bind, thanks a mil

and any other comments welcome also :D
    1. It sticks out, looks a bit bad IMO, and adds about pound of weight vs. the 6 cell.
    2. There's a consumer IR (not IRDa) port meaning you can use the included remote but none of your IR peripherals, if you have any.
    3. Yes.
    4. Yes - it will fit the computer and nothing else - fairly useless IMO.
    5. A flashy toy - no point wasting money on it if it's not necessary. Works well though.
    6. The LED is miles better - get it! The webcam is worse because the 2MP camera is too big to fit the LED screen, which is quite thin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement