Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britain/Holland facing North Sea 'storm surge'

Options
  • 09-11-2007 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1108/ukweather.html?rss
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7086175.stm

Weather is absolutely fecked up :mad:...but great for the surfers! :)
    rte wrote:
    Britain is bracing for possible severe flooding along its east coast due to a storm surge in the North Sea.

The 3m high surge could combine with peak tides, north-westerly winds exceeding 80km/h and low pressure to create waves of a magnitude only seen once in 20 years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well the Brits deserve it, don't they ... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

sure a bit a water never hurt anywan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

It happens every 20 years. Its not a sign of the apocolypse.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mairt wrote: »

Yeah, having innocent people lose all their wordly possessions and die for no reason is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I don't live there.
    I don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

It happens every 20 years. .

Last time it happened on this scale was 1953. Around 300 people died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

I suspect Mairt is being faceatious(think I spelt it right)...While I don't want any deaths or horrific injuries as a result of this 'possible' storm surge, nevertheless, you must admit it will make great viewing tomorrow morning - I think humans take this perverse enjoyment out of seeing natural disasters approach First World countries - it's not half as riveting when a hurricane rips through Central America say - they had nothing to lose in the first place whereas Western Society feels as if the natural order has been ripped to shreads if a natural disaster so much as threatens our material wellbeing(the cheek of it...) - therein lies the small sense of enjoyment at watching a small scale calamity - it you knew the people it'd be shocking but that's the nature of life...It's different when you don't know 'em...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭crushproof

Wow......how ironic!! I watched the film "Flood" tonight, with Robert Carlyle, its all about a surge devestating the whole eastern coast of the UK and flooding central London, home to 1.5 million people!!
    Its has a lot in common with what is going on tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

Terry wrote: »
    I don't live there.
    I don't care.
    I suspect Terry is being facetious also...or at least I hope he is - I know absolute power is kinda fun but it's a touch crude to be banning people from a forum one day for making innocuous comments and the next claiming to be totally turned off to the possible impact of a storm surge not a million miles away from London - No-one expects you to care but a little explanation would be appreciated...

Yeah, having innocent people lose all their wordly possessions and die for no reason is great.

Things happen for a reason.

If its gods will, they'll all die.

(Yes I'm being facetious)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Thread about this already:

In weather forum, surprisingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Cionnfhaolaidh

Oh noes, England will be flooded. *cracks open a beer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Surf's up! *B!ue gets her board*

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

KIVES wrote: »
    I suspect Terry is being facetious also...or at least I hope he is - I know absolute power is kinda fun but it's a touch crude to be banning people from a forum one day for making innocuous comments and the next claiming to be totally turned off to the possible impact of a storm surge not a million miles away from London - No-one expects you to care but a little explanation would be appreciated...
    Firstly, absolute power? I don't have that (yet).

Here's the thing.
    I do not live in Britain or the Netherlands, therefore this has no effect on me.

Also, you want me to show compassion?
    Compassion for what exactly?
    Nothing has hapened yet. It's not like the tsunami in Southern Asia a couple of years back.
    People know this is coming. Get out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

RTE wrote:
    Could

Nothing to see here folks. Bloody media again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

May be great for Surfers but it sucks balls for anyone in shipping :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Terry wrote: »
    Compassion for what exactly?
    Compassion for me, I live in Engerlandz!! :eek:
    You cruel-herated monster :D
    Nothing has hapened yet. It's not like the tsunami in Southern Asia a couple of years back.
    Exactly. As it stands, BBC News were saying this morning that the 3M swell has not happened as yet and the swell will not be as big as first thought. That said a few major roads are closed because of flooding and it could still go slightly pear shaped.
    People know this is coming. Get out of the way.
    Thousands have been advised to evacuate from the Suffolk coastline. Many have and many haven't. Some people are afraid of getting burgled if they leave, some don't seem to think potential flooding is a problem. Others seem to be in panic mode and are getting out with all their worldly goods :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One day an AH thread will NOT behave to type! :p

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

well that was a damp squib.

well that was a damp squib.

Yup, seem's as though it was all just a STORM IN A TEA CUP :rolleyes:

SkyNews, never let the truth stand in the way of a good story!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Would have loved if this was some big marketing plan by Apple for their launch of the iPhone... They should have got a big inflable iPhone up a barge in London this morning with screams of 'here it comes!!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Duiske wrote: »

That wasn't really the point of my post. I was just saying that this means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

UK met office issued warnings.

Rotterdam closed its flood barrier for the first time. It's the busiest port in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Yup, seem's as though it was all just a STORM IN A TEA CUP :rolleyes:

Are you getting mixed up with Fox News? I think you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

It was odd seeing all the surfers in the water :D

Big Tone wrote: »
    Are you getting mixed up with Fox News? I think you are.

You do realise they're more or less the same?
    Wow......how ironic!! I watched the film "Flood" tonight, with Robert Carlyle, its all about a surge devestating the whole eastern coast of the UK and flooding central London, home to 1.5 million people!!
    Its has a lot in common with what is going on tonight!

It's all your fault!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Was also the time of the irish ferry princess victoria disaster ...http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/january/31/newsid_2505000/2505913.stm

Yes, but it was British people. And we were at war with them then (well kinda, not really but lets not get tied down with this).

Anyway in all seriousness. I'm glad this passed off ok and no one was injuried or killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You gotta love sky news. Panic and fear and, "We're prepared!". I had it on in the background last night and they had me convinced that a serious flood was imminent.

Then I listened to newstalk this morning on my way in and I got the truth that it was just a general alert.

Sky news can get away with this because nobody cares that they're wrong, they're just glad when Sky news aren't right. Even the yellow banner on the bottom of the screen has them looking more and more like fox every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This is terrible! Amsterdam is like a second home to me. :( Don't care about Engerland.

Advertisement