Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will these DIMMs work in my self-build?

Options
  • 08-11-2007 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

I have a self-build going back to 2004 that I want to upgrade the memory in.

It's a Shuttle X small-form case that can only take two DIMMs on the propriatory MB.

When I built it first, I used 2X of :

Integral - Memory - 512 MB - DIMM 184-PIN - DDR - 400 MHz / PC3200

Now I want to upgrade the memory to 4gb. I had a look on Komplett and found the following:

OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT, w/two 2048MB PC6400 XTC, CL5-5-5-15.

Could they work in my PC, i.e. can I stick DDR2 DIMMS in a motherboard currently working with DDR memory?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nope, you'll have to use DDR. Plenty of it being sold on adverts.ie lately...It's not as cheap to buy new as value DDR2 though, so hence the adverts recommendation.

Also remember you won't see 4gb unless you're using a 64-bit OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

HavoK wrote: »
    Also remember you won't see 4gb unless you're using a 64-bit OS.
    But I should see about 3.25gb with XP. That's about as good as I can do with only two-slots available to me.

So would you recommend these from Komplett instead? :

Crucial PC4000 BallistiX DDR 2048MB CL3 Kit w/2 matched,2.8V,128Meg x 64, 184pin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Would be fine but why ddr500? That's expensive and is 2x1gb sticks, not 1x2gb. You can get 2gb in 2x1gb sticks for about 100 euro, or you can use memoryc.ie, they have some good prices as well.

It is very hard to get 2gb single sticks of DDR, owing to the fact that the days when it was the standard, single 2gb sticks would have made very little sense economically as boards have at least 2 memory slots, large single sticks always command a premium and no-one would have needed more then 2gb generally speaking in the normal non corporate user. Even now, 2gb is plenty for the average user and gamer, what do you need 4gb for?

Advertisement