Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Warranties on the cheap

Options
  • 08-11-2007 4:55pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have just received a letter from dell. The one year warranty on my laptop is about to expire and they are offering a chance to upgrade. Now it doesn't tell me how much it will cost to upgrade but it says to upgrade a vostro from a 1 year NBD to a 3 year NBD will only cost €71 excluding vat.

On the dell website it costs €119 excluding vat to upgrade a warranty for the same upgrade. This is a saving of nearly €50 and this is still before you include vat.

Dell must be using this as a way to tempt people who have no interest in an extended warranty (like myself) into buying one with a cheap upgrade. This works in the favour of people who like the peace of mind extended warranties offer though. When buying a laptop off dell go for the 1 year warranty, then when it's about to run out dell will let you upgrade it for a bit cheaper than it originally would have cost.

Dell have sent me out a letter before letting me upgrade the warranty on my 3 year old desktop so this seems to be a standard thing with them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Cheers for the heads up, rang our Account manager in Dell there and got quoted €375 for extending the warranties on both my XPS M170 and D410 by 2 years NDB each so quite the good price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

majiktripp wrote: »
    Cheers for the heads up, rang our Account manager in Dell there and got quoted €375 for extending the warranties on both my XPS M170 and D410 by 2 years NDB each so quite the good price!

EUR375? I would not have thought that was a good pirce, not by a long shot:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Thats for two laptops....extended by 2 years each...
    €180 for the Latitude for 2 years NDB extra
    €130 for XPS for 2 years NBD extra.
    Plus the Vat.
    I think its a very good deal myself.

I was previously quoted €350 for 2 years on the XPS alone....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

majiktripp wrote: »
    Thats for two laptops....extended by 2 years each...
    €180 for the Latitude for 2 years NDB extra
    €130 for XPS for 2 years NBD extra.
    Plus the Vat.
    I think its a very good deal myself.

I was previously quoted €350 for 2 years on the XPS alone....
    It was exactly the same for my M170. When buying it, the 3 year NBD was about €350, so I went with the one year. When that one year was just about to run out, they actually rang me and offered an extension of 3 years for €180. If it was a desktop I probably wouldn't have bothered, but €5 a month is pretty good for a laptop, considering the shorter life expectancy. It's actually already paid for itself, as a few months after renewing it, the power connector stopped working, so the mobo had to be replaced.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm gonna ring them on Monday to see how much it will cost me. It was way too much when I was buying the laptop and would have meant me having to get one with a worse cpu as I didn't have the extra money at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

I think you should go for it, 2-3 years ago I have a Dell laptop and only have a 1 year warranty. After 15 mothns my laptop suddenly died wit no power called up Dell and they want to charge 1000 euro to fix my laptop caused it is not under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

maco wrote: »
    I think you should go for it, 2-3 years ago I have a Dell laptop and only have a 1 year warranty. After 15 mothns my laptop suddenly died wit no power called up Dell and they want to charge 1000 euro to fix my laptop caused it is not under warranty.
    From my experience (different machine) even if the warranty is expired for about 6 months, if you ring up to renew it, they will let you. If renewing the warranty is cheaper than paying them to fix it, renew the warranty first, then send it in to them. Not only will it save you money, it will be covered for longer too :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Blowfish wrote: »
    From my experience (different machine) even if the warranty is expired for about 6 months, if you ring up to renew it, they will let you. If renewing the warranty is cheaper than paying them to fix it, renew the warranty first, then send it in to them. Not only will it save you money, it will be covered for longer too :)

You my friend are a genius.

Advertisement