Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help exchanging euro to sterling

Options
  • 08-11-2007 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Ok first off I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this, never really has to deal with it before.

Anyway I need to exchange about €5000 for sterling as I need £3500. I don't know if it makes any difference but I need it in Northern Ireland sterling.

Now I know the banks charge commission or something but I'm a student does this make any difference? I'm with Bank of Ireland by the way.

I will be exchanging whats on my credit card at the moment plus cash in order to get the sterling that I need, is there anything I need to know about here like extra charges in using my credit card account?

Do I need to order the money or can I walk in and ask for it? Whats the quickest way of getting it?

Finally whats the best way of going about this in terms of not being robbed by the bank and in terms of getting the cash without delay?

Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

caesar wrote: »
    Ok first off I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this, never really has to deal with it before.

Anyway I need to exchange about €5000 for sterling as I need £3500. I don't know if it makes any difference but I need it in Northern Ireland sterling.

Now I know the banks charge commission or something but I'm a student does this make any difference? I'm with Bank of Ireland by the way.

I will be exchanging whats on my credit card at the moment plus cash in order to get the sterling that I need, is there anything I need to know about here like extra charges in using my credit card account?

Do I need to order the money or can I walk in and ask for it? Whats the quickest way of getting it?

Finally whats the best way of going about this in terms of not being robbed by the bank and in terms of getting the cash without delay?

Thanks for reading :)

You need to ask your own bank about their charges, or check the opening documentation/terms and conditions. Can also be checked online at their website.
    There will certainly charges for taking a cash advance via your credit card- again, ring your bank to find out what these charges will be. You may be able to reduce the charges by lodging EURO to your CC account in advance.
    I don't understand ' I'll be exchaning what's on my credit card at the moment'?
    Because of the amount, you would be better walking up to the counters of a BOI branch up the north, as opposed to using ATM machine to withdraw the money - I assume that's where you are going. Again BOI CC services will help you.

I think the credit card is the most expensive way too go, followed by unauthorised overdraft. Why not simply talk to your bank, and see what they advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Rashers72 wrote: »
    I don't understand ' I'll be exchaning what's on my credit card at the moment'?

Well I had transferred a large amount of what was in my current account on to my credit card in order to make a payment using my CC but it turned out that I didn't have to make in the finish. So as it stands my CC is in credit. I have online banking but it doesn't allow the me to transfer the money back. I will call into the bank on Monday about it but I dont want a situation where they tell me that its going to take 3 days for the money to go back into my current account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If you have a student account with BOI their foreign exchange is commission free, just make sure you mention at the time of purchasing the money that you've a student account with them.

Most banks down home don't give out Northern notes...and English notes are accepted in Northern Ireland so I don't quite understand why you need Northern sterling. If you absolutely have to have Northern notes then you are best coming up here to exchange the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Got it sorted.

Went to BOI today, moved the money on my CC to my current account, withdrew the money. Then I went to Ulster Bank and lodged the money there, they gave me the sterling equivalent at a better rate than BOI and I wasn't charged commission. Oh ya I didn't have to order it or anything! Happy days:D

Advertisement