Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New graphics card

Options
  • 08-11-2007 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

I am thinking about upgrading my graphics card and I saw this http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/511824/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-x1650-pro-512-mb-t.html

And I am just wondering if there are any compatiblity issues with graphics cards. Currently I have a 64mb graphics card (its radeon too) and I am just wondering if I order the one above and bring it to a PC place will they be able to install it for me easily or will they say the new one won't work with your motherboard or RAM or something or that it wont fit inside a laptop you can put it in a desktop if you want, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

Well first off if you have a laptop that graphics card is not going to work its for a 'desktop', if you want advice a bit more information is needed, what is your pc spec? Do you want to play games? etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

bretttp1 wrote: »
    Well first off if you have a laptop that graphics card is not going to work its for a 'desktop', if you want advice a bit more information is needed, what is your pc spec? Do you want to play games? etc.
    Yeah I am looking for a laptop graphics card, not too expensive ( under €100 including delivery would be ideal) but I would use it for gaming, unreal tournament 3 for example. I am not too bothered about having the best graphics spec possible for games as long as they run well and frame rate is okay. I dont mind having a lower resolution or lower texture detail.

Current SPEC:
    XP
    2.8 ghz Pentium 4
    1gb RAM (soon to be 2GB)
    64mb Radeon Mobility 9600 ( i think, not on the laptop at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Yeah I am looking for a laptop graphics card, not too expensive ( under €100 including delivery would be ideal) but I would use it for gaming, unreal tournament 3 for example. I am not too bothered about having the best graphics spec possible for games as long as they run well and frame rate is okay. I dont mind having a lower resolution or lower texture detail.

Current SPEC:
    XP
    2.8 ghz Pentium 4
    1gb RAM (soon to be 2GB)
    64mb Radeon Mobility 9600 ( i think, not on the laptop at the moment)

Only way to change your graphics card to to change your laptop

Inqui

Inquitus wrote: »
    Only way to change your graphics card to to change your laptop
    Really? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Really? :(
    For the majority of laptops -- yes.

Honestly, have you even tried to see if you can open it up first?

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    For the majority of laptops -- yes.
    Honestly, have you even tried to see if you can open it up first?
    Yeah I have opened it up a few times for RAM needs but I cant really remember the internal setup for the graphics card. Might just have to get a new desktop so :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Yeah I have opened it up a few times for RAM needs but I cant really remember the internal setup for the graphics card. Might just have to get a new desktop so :(

Ram is pretty much the only upgradeable component on most laptops. Forget about a graphics card i'm afraid.

Advertisement