Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Answer Needed PLEASE!

Options
  • 07-11-2007 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I really need to know , are there any records of Paganism as a practised religion in Ireland durin the 1930s. Specifically during the drafting of the constituiton. This would make paganism a recognised religion of the state.

Cheers
    G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Gods no.

You'd be hard pushed to find anything anywhere in western world for that kinda of timeframe.

At least not that i have been able to find and i have been doing some digging in related areas.

National archives would be a good jump point but i have been looking recently and there wouldnt be anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Thanks very much

G

Mind if i ask why?

Just to settle an argument or is there more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Grimes wrote: »
    This would make paganism a recognised religion of the state.
    There are no recognised religions in the state. Ireland is a republic.

I assume since you are refering to documentary evidence of it would have given you some sort of argument with regards to article 44 section 3 of the original constitution ("The State also recognises the Church of Ireland, the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, the Methodist Church in Ireland, the Religious Society of Friends in Ireland, as well as the Jewish Congregations and the other religious denominations existing in Ireland at the date of the coming into operation of this Constitution."). That article was removed along with section 2 (giving the Catholic church a "special position") in 1973.

Article 2 now reads "The State guarantees not to endow any religion". From which making Paganism a recognised religion would be a massive step backwards.
    Agent J wrote: »
    You'd be hard pushed to find anything anywhere in western world for that kinda of timeframe.
    Not that hard. The easiest most clearly Pagan example (as opposed to a good few that one could argue either way) would be the Germanic Faith Community which was first formed in 1912 and then went through a few rapid radical changes before settling down in form, function and name around 1916 until it faded under persecution from the Nazis in the 1930s.

Thats outside the remit of the timeframe of the mid-late 1930's.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that . Im looking at the Tara debate with regards the protection of religious practice on the hill.

Its for an essay.
    Cheers
    G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are records of traditions that the christians chruches frowned upon.
    What are you looking for ? and would this be inrelations to natural law as outlined in teh constitution ? That in mind Paganism is not 1 set of religious belifs but an umbrella term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Grimes wrote: »
    Thanks for that . Im looking at the Tara debate with regards the protection of religious practice on the hill.

Its for an essay.
    Cheers
    G

You could look back as far as you can in the Leabhar but Tara was not a place of worship it was a place of politics.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    You could look back as far as you can in the Leabhar but Tara was not a place of worship it was a place of politics.

Im well aware of that but it is regarded by some religious site today, mainly through their own ignorance and lack of education.

As I said its for an essay on the Tara/M3 debate as part my degree finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Oh, if someone considers it a religious site now that's not necessarily a matter of ignorance. It's not an ancient religious site, but its being a modern religious site is a matter of modern religion.

Maybe you could perhaps argue from some of the modern version 44 in regards to religious freedom.
    Agent J wrote: »
    Thats outside the remit of the timeframe of the mid-late 1930's.
    The example I gave continued into the 40s, even though 1933 was the beginning of the end. Still, it was Germany rather than Ireland, so doesn't answer the original question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

The allowance or recognition of any religion, be it at the time of the framing of the constitution or at any point of alter under referenda) is of little or no consequence.
    There is a substantial body of case law that outlines the nature of constitutional interpretation being based upon the preamble. While many aspects of the preamble are undigestable by many (with referance to "the most holy trinity" etc) it is not something I for one, no matter how revulsed, would be easily swayed to surrender in that it is the principles therin of justice, prudence and charity that have allowed for unspecified rights such as privicy.

The current mindset of the SC is one of a literalist perspective and such arguments can turn on this fact.

From a legal standpoint, there are a number of aspects of the Tara issue that may have recourse in the legal arena by way of constitutinallity. However, religous freedom in my opinion is a poor argument. (presuming that it is the preservation and protection by constitutional means is the argument)

I have been researching Tara and other archealogical and mytho-cultural sites for many years and am also a Law student.
    If you could outline exactly what you are looking for, under what terms and for what ends, I might be able to point you in a better direction.

Advertisement