Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Unions

Options
  • 07-11-2007 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi no idea if this is the correct area to post in but if im wrong then ill ask in the appropriate area. I just wanted to know, does anyone know what sort of questions you are asked in a credit union when you apply for a car loan, esp if its your first loan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,883 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't they require you to have saved half of what you want to borrow or something simular. Thats what i was told when i went to get a loan ages ago off 'em.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My credit union never asked any questions, though under its rules the first loan is not a large amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

You can have a loan 3 times the amount of your shares ,what you spend it on is irelevant ,probley just technical questions .

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you want quite a lot, youll probably need a guarantor. Theyll ask how much you can pay back per week and as has been said you usually borrow up to three times your savings. Afaik you need to have been a member for a certain length of time as well. Theyll need to know where you work, if your married they might ask if your spouse is a member. Stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

I used to work in a car dealers and people often used to ask for a letter on headed paper just saying...

Re: Mr. ***** of 1 Corner Street, Town, Co.

To whom it may concern,

Mr. **** is purchasing a 2003 VW Golf and requires 10,000.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you've any queries... etc

I think it's literally like the year, make, model etc. Your direct debit details if you have to pay that way and you have to keep a quarter or a third of the amount you're borrowing in your account.

Credit Union is great - so wise not to go down the finance route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Each credit union is independent, and will have their own local policies and procedures about what they ask, and what funds (if any) that you have to keep on deposit. While many CUs do offer great value, it is always worth checking the APR. My mother-in-law got a better finance deal from her car dealer than her CU last year.

Advertisement