Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal Homes Photo Studio competitions

Options
  • 07-11-2007 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

Am I just lucky or is this a marketing scam?

Recently I entered 2 competitions i.e. fill in form with my details, at the Ideal Homes exhibition. The prize in both cases was a free sitting and free 5" x 7" photo .

Well I won both competitions!!!

Call me a skeptic but I smell a rat. Anyone else enter and win these 'competitions'?

Cal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

!!!Congratulations!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

well...obviously if you want to get that picture framed that'll be extra

if you want more than one picture that'll be extra

if you'd like a larger size that'll be extra

etc.

etc.

but on the other hand if you just say "NO JUST GIVE ME MY 5x7 PRINT" then you would get a free photoshoot...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

You'll most likely get your free photo, but anything else will be extra...anything.

Oh, and you most likely will have no rights towards the photo, meaning that your image can be used by the photographer as he/she likes (Which is standard) and no say in how or how many times Ideal Homes uses your image.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

I used to work for one of the companies that do something similar to this.
    I used to work on the display stands and as its ideal homes i presume it is the same studio.
    Dont want to name company but they have two studios
    one in Dun Laoghaire and one in Swords. yes the idea is to get you to come in and try the experience. Most people do buy more and the larger photos can be quite expensive. The first thing we always tell people is

"yes we are expensive, but we are worth it"

Try it if you want. The service from that company is fantastic. I would not say it is for everybody but those who have had it done always always love the photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Fair enough, so it seems like a marketing ploy. But they also try to sell "sitting & photo" packages for half price at these shows too. So is a free sitting really worth anything?

I guess I am tempted to see what they can do knowing it will cost me nothing to have a look.

Cal.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i work at most of the shows in the RDS. Trust me everyone a baby. also if anyone else entered the competition for some chef to come around and cook you and 7 of your closet friends meals - dont that it, its a sales scam to get you to buy their saucepans

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They are trying to steal your soul!
    Twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Apologises to anyone who does run one of these photo studios if I came across as being too harsh - you're just trying to earn money like the rest of us.

Luring customers in with a freebie isn't bad practise I suppose.

Advertisement