Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zen Vs iPod Vs iRiver

Options
  • 07-11-2007 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the right forum.

Thinking of getting one of the above but I need to know the lowdown on audio quality at gigs/large Hi-Fi system. I'd need at least 60Gbs of memory. I dont know how true it is but heard the iPods aren't great on the big systems, that the Zens or iRivers are better?

Also I need something that have a klind of "DJ Mode" ie will mix in the tracks etc is there compressor/limiter software for recording on the players and what audio editing software do they come with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

probably more suited asking this in the portable media player forum

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ok, this is just a quick thing, i don't know much (anything) about big hi-fi systems, but i do know that at the moment there are no big i-river players, they seem to have gone down the road of the small flash based player route...

I have heard from so called audiophiles that ipods do not possess the greatest sound quality, i don't know about that at all, perhaps someone can clear this up?

Also, and it's not on your list, but seemingly the Cowon range of players are supposed to have the best sound quality of all audio players, perhaps you should check out their website??

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Thanks dulpit, I took a look at them but the Creatives seem to be winning more people over. I've been told the sound quality is poor from the iPod when hooked in to a big system ie if only a disco gig rig, whereas the Creatives sound much better...dont know how true that is. Also do any MP3 players out there have a flexible DJ Mode where the software will allow tracks to fade in/out by the user determining the timing of it? I know there are plenty of PC-based ones like PC DJ etc. Are there any players with a simple "Line in" becasue all the ones I've seen so far are USB only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

dulpit wrote: »
    Ok, this is just a quick thing, i don't know much (anything) about big hi-fi systems, but i do know that at the moment there are no big i-river players, they seem to have gone down the road of the small flash based player route...

I have heard from so called audiophiles that ipods do not possess the greatest sound quality, i don't know about that at all, perhaps someone can clear this up?

Also, and it's not on your list, but seemingly the Cowon range of players are supposed to have the best sound quality of all audio players, perhaps you should check out their website??

Look over at HeadFi in their protable section and all your answers will be there. You can get good SQ (sound quality out of an iPod if you mod it, or use a line out, via a dock. Some interesting rigs here.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265067

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Big Tone wrote: »
    ... Are there any players with a simple "Line in" becasue all the ones I've seen so far are USB only.

Yes. Cowon X5, iRiver H1xx/3xx, HiMD, But what do you need it for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mully

I hope this is the right forum.

Thinking of getting one of the above but I need to know the lowdown on audio quality at gigs/large Hi-Fi system. I'd need at least 60Gbs of memory. I dont know how true it is but heard the iPods aren't great on the big systems, that the Zens or iRivers are better?

Also I need something that have a klind of "DJ Mode" ie will mix in the tracks etc is there compressor/limiter software for recording on the players and what audio editing software do they come with?

Have a look at the 'Pacemaker' ...

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/05/07/pacemaker-ultra-portable-recorder-mixing-dj-mp3-player/

http://pacemaker.net/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Gotta wonder if tha thing will ever make it to market... it's been floating about for a whiiiile now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I've been told the sound quality is poor from the iPod when hooked in to a big system ie if only a disco gig rig, whereas the Creatives sound much better...

Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

BostonB wrote: »
    Yes. Cowon X5, iRiver H1xx/3xx, HiMD, But what do you need it for?

Sending mixed tunes from a mixer.

Rockbox might have the answers www.rockbox.org

Mully, the Pacemaker looks interesting though more pricey (Zen 60Gb €229 Komplett, iPod Classic €349 Apple, Pacemaker €520 (not including tax/shipping!) but not out unitl Feb 2008 at the earliest!

Advertisement