Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flute Teacher

Options
  • 07-11-2007 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I've been playing trad music for 7/8 years, but over the last 2/3 years I've also been playing funk and some jazz. The problem is, I play a traditional Irish flute, and it is only in the key of D, with one chromatic note (C natural). However, I have a new flute (also trad) ordered, with lots of keys that will enable me to play chromatically and in any key I want. Although the instrument is still traditional, it will have the same capabilities of a classical one. I am now looking for a Jazz flute teacher. I live in Rathmines, Dublin. Does anyone know a good one?

I am a fast learner with a competent knowledge of the genre, and have studied music for 3 years in N.U.I. Maynooth. In some ways it will be like learning a new instrument again, and I'm quite excited and enthusiastic about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Danny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fuse

Probably a good bet checking out Newpark Jazz School
    http://www.newparkmusic.com/index.rvt/Instrumental%20Tuition.html

Sounds like you could be competent enough to figure it out yourself tho?
    Have a listen to Rahsaan Roland Kirk (nutjob used to play mutliple instruments at a time & through his nose!), Herbie Man, Jeremy Steig, Maceo Parker plays some nice flute sometimes.
    And a favourite of mine is Burning Spear by S.O.U.L.

Best of luck with it, get in touch if you ever want to jam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 flutefunk

what do you play?
    herbie mann is a favourite of mine. he does a great version of memphis underground. didn't know maceo plays flute! wow must check that out. saw him at the north sea jazz festival in rotterdam in july. he is one funky guy. must check out those other guys you mentioned.

Yeah i was thinking about newpark, but if i wanted to do the college thing i think i'd do it abroad for the experience. a local dublin teacher would be perfect, although if not, yeah i'll just have to figure it out on my tobler

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fuse

I play bass.
    Yeah would be better to get a couple of hours a week than doing full time course alright.
    I'd imagine its hard to find a teacher to show you the non-classical style and growling & vocal sounds you can add to flute!
    Would love to go to that North Sea Jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

flutefunk wrote: »
    what do you play?
    herbie mann is a favourite of mine. he does a great version of memphis underground. didn't know maceo plays flute! wow must check that out. saw him at the north sea jazz festival in rotterdam in july. he is one funky guy. must check out those other guys you mentioned.

Yeah i was thinking about newpark, but if i wanted to do the college thing i think i'd do it abroad for the experience. a local dublin teacher would be perfect, although if not, yeah i'll just have to figure it out on my tobler
    You can get part time lessons in newpark too, just check out their website @ http://www.newparkmusic.com/

Other than that check the teachers thread at the top of the forum, there may be some flute teachers advertising there.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

love the sound of jazz flute , I am trying to get a funk band together at present , if you would have any interest please let me know .

would love to have a jazz flute on board .:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

A seven-year old thread from a poster with 5 posts is unlikely to get a response! Head over to the Musicians Available or Wanted board, you'll probably have better luck over there.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement