Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subprime Ireland

Options
  • 07-11-2007 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

How much of Irelands mortgage market is based on subprime lending? I read an article from back in March 2007 that said Irelands subprime market is one the fastest developing. Is Ireland's economy under much threat from a potential wave of foreclosures?

Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I'm not sure how much we're in that end; though "fastest developing" is often a euphemism for under-exploited. I imagine our oligopolistic banking market could take a nuclear strike and stay intact, though.

As an interesting tangent/corollary, can the need for banks to abate liquidity fears be used to justify excessive profits?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

we are way behind the states and UK which is good but in any bubble marginal buyers are going to be sucked in at the end and given the 100% morgages there is an incentive to walk from a property if there is a significant reduction in prices

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

I firmly believe that the ripples have already hit.

In my line of work I am in a position to note a sharp increase in judgments and installment orders. Repossessions are up slightly, but are still a real last resort for lenders. Judges are very reluctant to rule this way, preferring to focus on the ability of the person to pay.

Add to that the growing percentage of the population who have a less than exemplary credit history, and get pushed into these loans.

It has started, whether it will explode or not is open to debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Can someone explain what exactly a subprime mortgage is? and why it's all going so wrong.

God, i feel like yer man........."i don't know what a tracker mortgage is" lol

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

themadchef wrote: »
    Can someone explain what exactly a subprime mortgage is? and why it's all going so wrong.

God, i feel like yer man........."i don't know what a tracker mortgage is" lol

Thanks

try this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ_qK4g6ntM

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
Advertisement