Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a new Laptop I think

Options
  • 06-11-2007 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've been out of the technology loop for a while and after yesterday's crippling failure and re-install of everything I think it's about time I re-invested.

I don't know what the best buys or new items are anymore so help would be greatly appreciated.

What I have at the moment: HP Pavilion ze5454; 2.8GHz, 40G hard drive; TFT 15.4'' screen, 512 RAM; CD Writer, 3 USB ports; S-Video; Infra red; XP and Office. Very heavy by today's standard. Was €1400 at the time but I've no intention of spending anything like that again.

I think there are two fans in it and one does not work correctly. As far as I know this is a problem with them in general. Therefore it gets very hot and this slows it down a lot. It's been turning off a lot as a result of overheating. Yesterday it had a major Windows error that I couldn't get past. I do know a bit but I'm not an expert so I re-installed everything.

Anyway - It's 4 years old and time to get a new one.

I do travel with work a bit so I'd certainly like one that's lighter but has at least everything the current one has but with new cool features. I also download very large files too.

So what do the experts here think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

I have an XPS 1210 and I would really suggest it's big brother the 1330... it's gorgeous looking and quality for price, build and performance.

http://www.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1330?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Eglinton wrote: »
    So what do the experts here think?

Please have a look at the ***READ THIS FIRST*** thread :D.

Seriously, if you have a look at that sticky and provide the information, it will help us help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

I believe I did :D

Budget: Well I said I didn't want to spend the same amount as last time which was €1,400. So whatever the options are that are less than that.

Intended use: As stated above - S-Video; Infra red;Office, Downloading very large files. Additional USBs. In addition to that - web browsing, one that keeps very cool, fast wifi.

Mobility: I do travel with work a bit so I'd certainly like one that's lighter but has at least everything the current one has but with new cool features.

Warranty: Not an issue at this stage until I see what the Laptop options are. Most warranties are a rip off.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Eglinton wrote: »
    I believe I did :D

Budget: Well I said I didn't want to spend the same amount as last time which was €1,400. So whatever the options are that are less than that.

Intended use: As stated above - S-Video; Infra red;Office, Downloading very large files. Additional USBs. In addition to that - web browsing, one that keeps very cool, fast wifi.

Mobility: I do travel with work a bit so I'd certainly like one that's lighter but has at least everything the current one has but with new cool features.

Warranty: Not an issue at this stage until I see what the Laptop options are. Most warranties are a rip off.

Well as for your intended uses, any laptop would be able to handle that apart from the infra red but you could buy a usb dongle of this. Small and light seems to be what you are looking for. The dell xps m1330 should suit your needs but is a tad pricey. Something like this one would suit your needs perfectly but it's around €1000 excluding vat and delivery.

You may also want to look at the vostro 1400. It's a 14" laptop so is still small and light and it is cheaper than the xps. This is €730 excluding vat and delivery and is similar in spec to the xps.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,055 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

might be worth looking at some sort of lenovo, very robust for travel... not really for gaming though

• Advertisement
Advertisement