Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HM Revenue & Customs

Options
  • 06-11-2007 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Got an email from admin@hmrc.gov.uk saying

''
    Please Note: After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of:

£170
    ''

gives me a link to put in my credit card number to lodge money into ??

Whats This ABout

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Sounds like a new scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

the site say gov.uk

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

First off, since when is Rep Of Ireland controlled by the British Government? :)
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ = Her Majestys Revenue & Customs)

Of course its a scam! :rolleyes:

Anyone who falls for it deserves to be taken for every penny they have on there credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

See here from the HMRC website
    Tax Rebate - Updated 19 September 2007
    We are aware of a number of scams aimed at persuading our customers to complete a form revealing their bank or credit card details, on the pretext that a payment of tax will be paid directly into their bank account.

Previous forms, have shown a potential tax rebate using the email addresses of:

admin@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk
    info@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk
    no-reply@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk
    HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) does not send out emails using these email addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

hope you rushed to give them your credit card details..................

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

What's the contact e-mail address for replies, hotmail,Yahoo,etc?

is scam same as all the others that you are the only living relative of a rich family in Africa and left you 20mil €

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭lizzyd66

Some of the scam emails are really authentic. I get the usual Nat West/Abbey National ones that are very obvious but got one the other day - meant to be from ebay. It looked so real - claiming that someone was claiming I hadn't paid them for an item CDPETE (99) say. It then linked to a replica of the ebay site - it had ebay in the title but loads of numbers after the www. bit. It was the first time in my life that I nearly fell for a scam. I have 100% rating on ebay and use it a lot so got a shock and clicked on the link. Luckly my head took over and I logged onto ebay on a different window, realised there was no new message in my inbox and reported it as a scam .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Cabaal wrote: »
    Anyone who falls for it deserves to be taken for every penny they have on there credit card.

Exactly and they should not be allowed within 50 foot of any credit cards for the rest of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

What sort of fscking IDIOT would give them their credit card?
    It never crosses your mind that you don't even live in Britain? WTF would the British Revenue have a tax refund for you?
    And why would they refund it onto you CREDIT CARD?

People who fall for something like this should have their bank accounts taken off them and be kept in a padded room.

Advertisement