Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Managment on I-Pod

Options
  • 06-11-2007 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I have synced a new I-pod with my music Library and Movies and Pictures.
    All went well but when I look at the capacity of what space I have left on the I-pod I find that my space is taken up as follows.
    Music 8gb
    Video 6gb
    Pictures 4gb
    and Other 7gb
    leaving 4gb freespace,from 27.4gb of a 30gb Apple Video (2.6gb for files i presume)
    but what is the 7GB space for OTHER taken for

hUGH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Do you use the iPod as a portable hard drive and save files on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭hughowen

No, I don't use it as hard drive. I just synced from I-Tunes library to I-Pod and that was the result, I am thinking that I have about 15 movies on this and some of these may not have registered as 'movie' space but others.
    If that is the case then fine but if it is space that is used for something I don't want or need then I will try to delete it for more movies or music.
    Thanks
    Hugh

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

WOW that's insane, other usually relates to album art and additional track info but its really really unlikely you're using 7gb's worth.

Could you grab a screenshot of your itunes showing the afforementioned info?

That is my thought as well, but, can't grab screen shot but the figures are right. I checked them over again and they are right.
    I might try to unload everything and just put music and pictures on and see if there is as much space used then by the other folder.
    Thanks Hugh

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

How big is your itunes music folder? as in the actually directory...

• Advertisement

Don't know how to check that, the directory.Presume its on my computer
    18.6 gb is the space on the drive on my computer taken up by my music and video and pictures.It's a seperate drive and that is all that is on it, This is close to the i-pod without the 7gb other used...
    Hugh

That's really weird Hugh, have you done a re-format of the ipod and then manually transferred your music and stuff?

That will be my next step. To format, as soon as I find out how to.
    Is putting the music on the i-pod manually better than letting the auto update work?

For me it is, some people prefer auto syncing but if you accidentally delete a song from itunes it will be deleted off you ipod too when you connect it.

To format hit the "restore" button in itunes>ipod

Advertisement