Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Req] Graphics card advice

Options
  • 06-11-2007 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

I am looking to replace the graphics card of my laptop (Dell 1520). At the moment I have 128 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS. Please note that this upgrade option is available on dell site with the new laptop.

Which I would live to replace with 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT.

I am hoping someone would be able to help me out.

First is it possible to replace this card in a laptop? If yes then where to find it and how much it would cost?

I checked dell and some other websites but cant seem to find it. Not even on ebay :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

coldfire1x wrote: »
    First is it possible to replace this card in a laptop? If yes then where to find it and how much it would cost?

Nope, most likely not. I don't have direct experience of that model, but generally speaking in laptops it is not possible to upgrade the graphics card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Is it possible to get a 1520 with a 8600 GT? If it is then you will probably be able to replace it. There's a nice DDR3 version http://myworld.ebay.com/newhomegadgets/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ The site has few 8600 GT cards but they are PCI. I guess thats for desktop and not for laptops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm quite sure the card is soldered to the board, so no. But I'm not 100%. However, it would be very unlikely, though not unheard of, for a relatively basic home model. I'll check it out later.

@Havok - Thanks for your insight.

Please do let me know if you find anything more about it.

I really want to get this done if possible.

• Advertisement

Nah there's one for a notebook here

Havok is probably right about the soldering but the 6800 in the i9300 could be changed to a 6800 ultra or 7800GTX with a little modding...

EDIT: You're in luck, looks like its modular. http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=146178

EDIT Again: Doubt above card will fit in your Dell as its not standard MXM. Best bet would be to contact Dell.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Nah there's one for a notebook here

Havok is probably right about the soldering but the 6800 in the i9300 could be changed to a 6800 ultra or 7800GTX with a little modding...

EDIT: You're in luck, looks like its modular. http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=146178

EDIT Again: Doubt above card will fit in your Dell as its not standard MXM. Best bet would be to contact Dell.

You've also got to remember to take into account the extra power it'll need and the extra heat it'll generate.

Thanks for the all the responses.

It looks like it can be done. Extra power and extra heat is valid concern as well.

Need to think what I really want to do.

Doubt power or heat will be an issue as they come as optional in the 1520. Dell probably just stick in whatever card the customer wants and leave everything else the same, cant really see them sticking in new fans/heatsinks here and there. It would be understandable if the card was high end but the new card should come with a new heatsink anyway.

I know if you upgraded your card in a 9300 or prob 9400, like Cushion has, you'd have to flash the bios (make the laptop thinks its an XPS) aswell as get a new heatsink and a 120W adapter to run a 7800GTX. The upgrade to a 8600M wouldn't/shouldn't be nearly as tedious.

You might find it hard to get a Dell compatiable card though, so you might have to get another 1520 user who has a 8600M to order you one using their service tag. The price could be enormous but I doubt Dell would sell you a new card on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The Inspiron 1520 does have separate graphics cards (the AMD based 1521 does not however). I assume you meant you have and 8400M GS, as that is the only other option.

All you need to change the graphics card is a philips screwdriver (and something flat to pry off the hinge cover bezel), however it would involve taking out most of the screws. Also, I don't know how you can get the graphics cards on their own. AFAIK they are specific to the 1520.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm surprised that they're modular, usually very rare in anything but the most expensive laptops. I sincerely doubt they're mxm and are probably proprietary so getting one would be a pain. I wouldn't even want to know what the price Dell would charge you is. I'd imagine it'd work out extremely uneconomical. They might not even sell you one, though I know in the US they very frequently send out parts to users who insist on fixing machines themselves etc. So worth a try.

Is there a difference in the adaptors that come with machines with 8400gs and 8600gt?

Id say they use the same adapters, its just the beefy 7800GTX needed a 120W to power it and the Inspiron 9300 came with a 90W by default.

Id almost see how much you could sell it for now and get a Vostro with a 8600 instead? Would save alot of hassle and may even work out cheaper depending how long you've had your current one for.

After going though all the responses it looks like it can be done but finding the card would be a pain in the neck. I am not sure dell are going to sell the card seperately. I have already checked their website. Even if they sell they are going charge a hell lot.

I did search lot of other websites and cant really find much where this card is sold seperately.

Although it looks like its modular. When you configure a new 1520 on dell website you can choose between 128MB and 256MB.

I guess I have only 2 realistic options - keep the laptop as it is or sell it and get a new one.

Atleast it was good to get more information :)

I did give a call to dell support and I am not sure who I was talking to but he had no clue whatsoever about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

just flog the laptop and get a gaming rig, changing a graphics card is madness, even if you did get it done it might go fubar. get yourself a proper XPS.

changing graphic cards is not easy and dell would not entertain this I imagine. you order laptops from dell with specific cards put in, after that your own your own/.*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DellCA

I checked the specs, and if you did not order the 1520 with the Intel (integrated) video then you should be able to upgrade the video card. If you call our spare parts sales department they will be able to give you the price for the discrete video card kit (it includes the heatsink assembly for the card).

Instructions for removing and installing the card are available in the service manual for the system (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1520/en/index.htm) which is available on the Dell support website (http://support.dell.com) for all of our computer models.

While it is possible to do the upgrade, I want to let you know that if the card fails our tech support will want to send out the original video card type as a replacement, because that is what is listed in the order details in our system. What this means is that the upgraded video card would not be covered by the system warranty (although the original card would be).

If you have other questions on this I'll be happy to help any way I can.

Larry
    Dell Customer Advocate

Larry, thanks a lot.

I did call the spares part sales dept and they have the card I am looking for.

Happy days.

Advertisement