Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vw

Options
  • 06-11-2007 9:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, I'm a new user so please bear with me! Can anyone give me some advise on the following:..In July/August 06 I bought a new "In the showroom" Passat from Frank Hogans, Limerick., However within the first week I had problems with the Air Bag Light coming on, on the dash. I have now had to bring the car back 4 times to be fixed and as yet it still isn't. Yesterday, I rang VW Ireland, but they said that Hogans, can put the car on computer for 2hrs check the fault (again) and after that if they can still not find the fault, give me a Hire Car for three days.
    My Question is: What am I entitled to? Surely, after this being the 4th time i would be either entitled to a new car or at least a replacement car.? I also asked if I could have a copy of the work carried out so far on the car in hogans and the service desk said VW will not allow them! When I rang VW to query this they said that they don't know what she is talking about and I am entitled to it? Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

You might be better off posting in the Motors forum - lots of info there about VW's infamous "service".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sophie Johnston

Thanks for the Tip! I'll do that...I'm going to ring "Know Your Rights" and see if there's anything I can do...

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

I don't know if they could give you a replacement car - you might get a refund taking into account the mileage you've clocked up?

If that Car Dealer is a member of the SIMI - Society of Irish Motoring Industry - tell the gargage you will be contacting them (that usually gets you better service because garage owners don't want the SIMI on their backs).

If they continue fobbing you off - I would def contact the SIMI as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If it was something more serious than an airbag light coming on you might be able to push for a refund or replacement.

If I were you i'd demand they pay for you to bring it to another VW dealer for diagnosis. Sounds like your dealer hasn't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

eth0_ wrote: »
    If it was something more serious than an airbag light coming on you might be able to push for a refund or replacement.

If I were you i'd demand they pay for you to bring it to another VW dealer for diagnosis. Sounds like your dealer hasn't a clue.

The car is still under manufacturer warrenty. As such you are entitled to bring it to any VW dealer for repair under that warrenty. You do not need VW's permission or that of the garage that sold it.

You might have some explaining to do initally, but any decent garage should be willing to build up goodwill with you to catch you for your servicing etc.

Regarding the actual fault - it does not really matter, but I would have though an Airbag light was fairly serious. It indicates a problem or failure with a piece of safety equipment....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I had a similar problem with a Golf from a different dealer. The airbag warning light came on for no apparent reason 2 weeks after I had bought it (new 2006). I brought it back to the dealer and they "reset" it but it happened again so they replaced the airbag free of charge. No problems since.

It sounds like they are just "re-setting" the airbag. Tell them to replace the airbag free of charge.

Advertisement