Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new years alone?

Options
  • 06-11-2007 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

so i booked a trip for new years,heading over to berlin because hey there aint nothing happenin here...but recently people have been like "augh will u not feel weird,will u not be really lonely" by yourself,ok lads its all over in about 10 minutes whats the big deal,anyway what do ye think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

New Years Eve is a big load of sh1te anyway. Celebrating something that doesnt even exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

You should do what makes you happy, as long as you leave no dead people in your midst.

Maybe you'll meet the love of your life whilst over there.. then it'd be worthwhile. Unless she's a ho and her pimp won't let her move to rural Ireland. That'd suck :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

It could all work out very well, better then being alone here IMO, I'd prob do the same myself if i was in the same situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Go for it. new Years a load of ****e anyway, who wants to listen to all the crap people spout about what they aren't going to do different next year. and then you have the crowds... *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Swindon

thank you archimedes my thoughts exactly its hard enough to get the people u do know back home together for the night anyway,big street party in berlin great firework display nice cheap beer,feck that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Archimedes wrote: »
    New Years Eve is a big load of sh1te anyway. Celebrating something that doesnt even exist.

exactley i often went to the toilet about 11:55 for ten minutes because i detest that kiss me its 12:00 bullsh!t. its only another day , and as my late grandfather often said whilst watching day time tv on channel 4 " countdown me mickey "

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I got separated from my mates once in Edinburgh Hogmanay and met some other folks to celebrate the stroke of midnight with. Great time was had anyway.
    Found my mates an hour later.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

I'd go!

Don't know what the big Hoo-Hah is about NYE anyways!

I've never enjoyed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Swindon

god forbid i get lonely for the 10 second countdown haha,twil be off to dance the night away after that n hopefully score...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Yeah! And they celebrate it an hour earlier over in Germany as well.. so you'll get it out of the way quicker...

w00t!

**edit**

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Drei, Zwei, Eins... :)

Fair play to ya though. I always wanted to go to Germany but I'm not sure I'd have the guts to go anywhere alone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Wouldn't go out alone on NYDay, but love to travel whenever I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

just like christmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Berlin's maybe a strange choice if you don't speak the lingo and are going it alone.
    Other than that, I'd say off you go & enjoy yourself. I did loads of solo holidays before, cos I had lots of time off work & my mates didn't. You always meet up with people you can have a few laughs with.

Go enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I was in Berlin recently, great city and the majority of the people there speak English anyways, so no big deal there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 VaccinalBowl

I would definately go if I was you! NYE is ****e! I'm off to New York for Christmas. Going Christmas eve and coming home just before New Years!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

go for it, i hate new years eve. about 4 years ago i went to berlin for new year, it was great, mind you i wasnt by myself, i was staying with a german friend but you should definately do it. just remember, it will be bloody cold there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

This year New year day

Me and My WiFi in London

I had one new year alone in the past

It was boring but i saved a fortune :D

I was the only one who had plenty of money for January sales :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

WiFi haha :D

im workin new years eve. so i get to watch flavourable tv all night. lucky me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Just another day - like any other day.

Can I go to Berlin with you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

If I could afford to go back to Helsinki on NYE I would..and I'd be going alone. Go for it. Travelling alone is pretty good, and to go to Berlin too. I hear its a great city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Just got back from Berlin, if you are gonna do anything, go to the Pergamon Museum. Simply stunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

i'd go..new years is worst night out of the entire year..completey rat arsed idiots spilling even more drink than usual on you! ....and bars/ clubs in towns fleece you in every way possible....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

I'll buck the trend and say its odd to celebrate NYE on your own in a different city. Solo holidays are fine, I like the idea and flexibility of them. However New Years Eve??? without any friends or family around. Are you sure you won't feel lonely.

Don't think I would do it myself and I can be a loner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

WiFi haha :D

im workin new years eve. so i get to watch flavourable tv all night. lucky me.

I call my Wife WiFi ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The best New Years I ever had was when I was completly alone on the edge of a National Park in NZ. Nobody around for miles and the sun was beating down. I got naked and covered myself in mud from the river. Happy Days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I call my Wife WiFi ;)

really? i thought you were bringing your wireless router on holiday with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I've spent every New Year's Eve since 2000 either sick or babysitting. I don't get the big deal. Although NYE 2009 should be fun, my sister's having her 21st then, as she turns 21 on Christmas Day. I think it's a pretty good idea!

Go to Germany and have a ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Swindon wrote: »
    so i booked a trip for new years,heading over to berlin because hey there aint nothing happenin here...but recently people have been like "augh will u not feel weird,will u not be really lonely" by yourself,ok lads its all over in about 10 minutes whats the big deal,anyway what do ye think?

I'm actually in kinda the same situation, I was asked to take care of something in Amsterdam for work so I'll be there from the 28th untill some time after the 4th, personally I jumped at the offer. I hate all the forced excitment of new years and this year I'll be where no one knows me so I can just do whatever I want instead of being dragged somewhere I don't want to go to spend the night with a bunch of people who for most of them, I can't stand. As for feeling lonely, well I'll probably head out to a club for the night, so I mean, how lonely can you feel in a club on ecstacy with 2000 other people?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

From the NYE Millenium right up to NYE 2003, I religiously purchased a bottle of whiskey and lay back in my flat listening to 'New Skin for the Old Ceremony'(Leonard Cohen) without fail - perversely enjoyed NYE, even looked forward to it...my girlfriend's not to big on Lennie so we're trying for something more sentimental this year...maybe Barry Manilow

Advertisement