Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lookin for a laptop 4 brother, E800-900 budget

Options
  • 05-11-2007 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Lookin 4 a laptop for my brother, but lookin for 1 without all the bloatware as i have all the software he needs here ;) so dont suggest a Dell. Also don't need an extended warranty as i'll be the 1 maintaining this, 12 months is enough. Is it possible to buy 1 without an os? Don't need all these trial versions of this & that or packaged av bull$hit. Just a laptop :D

Requirements:
    2 Ghz core2duo
    2Gb ram
    120Gb hd min
    Built in webcam

Doesn't need to have a big screen as he'll only b using it for general surfing, music poker etc. I'd like it to have @ minimum a 2Ghz c2d processor for vista & the more hd space the better.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dell don't actually put much crap on the vostro's. I'm not sure about the other ranges though. They did put some crap on my inspiron 9400 but that was a year ago. You could get a vostro with that spec for a pretty cheap price. If you still don't want to go with dell, laptopsdirect.ie or elara.ie would be a good choice. I might take a quick look on them later for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

BTW, what amd processor is equivalent in speed to 2Ghz centrino c2d?

Dell don't actually put much crap on the vostro's.

Never seen them sell a pc without filling it with crap :D

I just want a laptop, is that not 2much 2 ask? I like when i buy a new mobo that i put exactly what software "I want" on it, not the bull$hit they try to push you in2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

my inspiron wasn't filled withcrap tbh. Equivalent amd is probably the turion tl60 though duo are better but thats if yourdoing massive computing!

TheDriver wrote: »
    my inspiron wasn't filled withcrap tbh.

:rolleyes: McAfee, M$ Word, Roxio, Power Dvd, Dell system monitor & others.......all bloatware........not interested.

Suprisingly, I can't find a better deal than this.
    Looks like i'm gonna have 2 format :mad:, can't believe ya cant get a laptop without an os. What are linux users supposed to do? Jeez, ya gotta admire Good Old Bill :D

• Advertisement

uninstall mcafee before you activate while roxio is fine especially as most of my old progs don't work on vista. Having said that, whats an hours work reformatting when its way cheaper to buy

Ya, gonna get him go for that, will see what dell fill it with. Best deal i can find. Will prob wipe it. Will be using Nod32, Nero, Office 2007 & stuff I want him 2 have.

Btw, with dell giving recovery partions, do you still get your drivers disks or do i have 2 go2 the trouble of dl'in them 4 him?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Ya, gonna get him go for that, will see what dell fill it with. Best deal i can find. Will prob wipe it. Will be using Nod32, Nero, Office 2007 & stuff I want him 2 have.

Btw, with dell giving recovery partions, do you still get your drivers disks or do i have 2 go2 the trouble of dl'in them 4 him?

You still get the disk.

You still get the disk.

Cheers, was askin cos i came across a guy da other day who bought a pc in tesco with Vista & recovery partion. He wiped Vista & installed Xp but couldn't get his net adapter 2 work. He didn't get any driver disk, not veen for motherboard. Had 2 go online 2 get 1 for him.

the recovery partition is a pain in the h**e but at least with vista you can combine this partition with main one without need to boot from disk etc

Be warned, my nero6 won't work with vista and some other applications so i put a dual boot with xp on it

• Advertisement

Nero 7?

Advertisement