Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Monitor now quick vat question?

Options
  • 05-11-2007 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭

Im getting the monitor below now and its €267.63,my friend who owns a business has given me his vat number...

http://www.pcwb.ie/catalogue/item/SAMMO289

So will I (he) pay vat at 24% on this monitor....

Or is €267.63 plus shipping of €24 the final price?

Or do business not pay vat?

I forget lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

You always pay the full amount and the company buying the goods claims the VAT back
    It's done through the company accounts.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

_Brian_ wrote: »
    You always pay the full amount and the company buying the goods claims the VAT back
    It's done through the company accounts.

This depends on where the Businesses are located.
    If he is an Irish Co buying off a UK or European CO, then you do not have to pay VAT.

I think PC world are UK Based

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

It's a serious matter to defraud the VAT man! To qualify for VAT refund, the vat reg co should pay the invoice. Your friend passing the VAT nr to a third party is breaching VAT regs, which could also implicate teh supplier co.

Even if the vat reg co was to pay the invoice, non-business related purchases ie personal do not qualify for vat refund.

As stated by another poster, buying goods from the UK or EU would be normally supplied VAT free to qualifying Vat reg Irish co.

Your friend should know better than to mess with the vat guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

OP, if your friend gets a revenue VAT audit he'll know all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Well PCWB.ie either charge UK (17.5%) or Irish VAT (21%). Which, is not clear from their website (but would be clear from their VAT invoice, or they should be able to tell you over the phone).

If they charge Irish VAT (they have an Irish VAT reg number. Whether they are an English or Irish registered company isn't important in this context), then you'll have to pay the 21% VAT at the time of purchase, and your friend's company will claim the VAT back in their next regular VAT return.

If they charge UK VAT, then they should (under EU regulation) accept proof of your Irish VAT registration and charge 0 VAT, at the time of purchase. (This, too, has implications on your friend's company accounts/returns). The proof varies from company to company (as the onus is on them to prove the validity), from simply supplying the VAT number, to supplying a fax of Revenue correspondance about that VAT number, etc.

Either way, both will have implications on your friend's accounts/returns, and will both be subject to investigation should he be chosen for a VAT audit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

:eek:

Thanks for all your help fellas,as you might have guessed I decided to buy it at pixmania for an extra €50 instead :(

Just not worth the hassle...

Thanks again..

Advertisement