Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold call from MRBI in the Phillipines!

Options
  • 05-11-2007 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭

Just got off a call from a very pleasant young woman from MRBI in the Phillipines. She said she was conducting research on behalf of MRBI Ireland regarding my opinion on gardening (its mucky) and shopping (it sucks).
    As we are totally non directory, I asked where she got our number, and she told us they were using a random number generator!

I explained I would not answer the questions, and would not want to be called again, wished her a nice evening and hung up.

Am I wrong in thinking that random number generators are illegal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Archeron wrote: »
    Just got off a call from a very pleasant young woman from MRBI in the Phillipines. She said she was conducting research on behalf of MRBI Ireland regarding my opinion on gardening (its mucky) and shopping (it sucks).
    As we are totally non directory, I asked where she got our number, and she told us they were using a random number generator!

I explained I would not answer the questions, and would not want to be called again, wished her a nice evening and hung up.

Am I wrong in thinking that random number generators are illegal?

How can random number generators be illegal? An auto dialer perhaps but not a number generator. They either have your number or typed it in at random. Its not a big deal. Oh and by the way, your number is not unlisted. Its just not in the regular phone book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Make sure your number is not listed for marketing calls. Contact your phone providor for details. It can be a slow procedure however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Its called the National Directory Database. All telemarketers are supposed to reference this for their campaigns...doesnt mean they do though! Especially if they are in the philippines :eek:

Your telecoms provider can get you sorted once you tell them you want to be included in the NDD but as previous poster said, you're looking at 8 weeks before this will take effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the calll you got was from someone doing market research, not tele marketing. she wasn't trying to sell you anything so the same laws don't apply. they can and do use random number generators. i know this because my gf used to work for one of those companies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I was wondering what method they used. I got a call from MRBI a few months ago asking me about gardening and gardening purchases. All my answers were NO as I do fcuk all in the garden and have never bought anything for it.

I've opted out of the NDD for marketing calls so they can't be using that.

It got me wondering though, who the hell wants statistics about gardening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Archeron

jor el wrote: »

It got me wondering though, who the hell wants statistics about gardening?

Our new lizard overlords?

(Sorry :o )

Advertisement