Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Movies

Options
  • 05-11-2007 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Just read this months Empire and they had a large section on fantasy movies in production. Some surprises there to say the least. Really looking forward to some.

1. The Elfstones of Shanara - late 2009

2. The Dark Tower - J.J Abrahams attached - 2010

3. A Song of Ice & Fire - HBO Series - 1 Novel per Series - 2008

4. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - 2008

5. Wheel of Time - The Eye of the World - 2010

6. Warcraft (yes the game) - 2009

7. The Dragonlance Chronicles - Animated - 2008

8. Dragonriders of Pern - 2007

Comments

Playboy wrote: »

J.J Abrahams or not they will ruin it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

wheel of time :eek::eek::eek::eek:

the world's first 18 in a series movie and it still wouldn't end

agree that the dark tower could never be done properly, its just too far out there

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

There's been some really excellent TV series in the last few years, so I have hopes for this. Not sure how they'll keep track of all the disparate storylines, but good luck to them. Can't wait to see "The Wall"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

This could be really cool.

Also I think the warcraft film may surprise alot of people.

Wouldn't hold out too much hope for the WoT film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

anyone know how the writers strike is affecting these things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

nothing going ahead at the moment. All stop and all is planned for a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Still no sign of an adaptation of Feist's "Magician" :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ripcat

I dread to think what movie scriptwriters would do to Magician. Best book ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Obviously they're making money of these films, but how many, of the very many, recent fantasy films have been as good as lord of the rings was?
    No ones putting the time or effort into making these films at the quality lord of the rings was produced which is a real shame, because i can see that they'll just keep pumping out these adaptations until theres nothing left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭trellheim

still no Thomas Covenant books
    I can hear the pitch now "Well after the rape scene 20 mins in the leper goes on to "...

Whoa says the Hollywood exec... back up there a minute buster... what ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

I just came. :o

Please dont **** this up.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ya, Magician would be a brilliant one to do. The whole of that trilogy, with the darkness at Sethanon climax would be class.

Maybe with the WoT ones, they might be able to make the series in about 5 films. God knows there is enough crap to cut out of most of the books, especially 5 onwards. They could surely cut some of the plotlines out. Removing talk about braid tugging would save 2 films worth alone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just read this months Empire and they had a large section on fantasy movies in production. Some surprises there to say the least. Really looking forward to some.

Sweeeet.

I would love the malazan series and the prince of nothing series too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

I see Donaldson has another Thomas Covenent series ot; maybe he'd write the screenplay?

I would think the Elfstones would be murdered on the big screen. Those initial books (I felt the later ones were poor) were written from 1977 onwards. Everyone knows 1977 was the year of the great Fantasy Novel and things were so much different back then. A story could be told without people wondering how it would look with CGI everywhere.

In truth I consider films like Wizards of the Lost Kingdom far superior to any modern tripe simply because they did what they could do and left it at that. Krull is still a masterpiece in my eyes and always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I know this is a bit of a necro-bump, but I think it's quite interesting to see the (lack of) progression of these projects.

Anyone have any updates on what's going on with this stuff? I know A Song of Ice & Fire is well underway and should hit screens in 2010, and the WoW movie is gathering momentum with Sam Rami attached as director - tentative relase date in 2011. The Hobbit should also be mentioned here, due for release late in 2011. Haven't heard anything about any of the others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MrEko

Lets be realistic here, would it even be possible do The Wheel of Time in a movie series? Maybe as a TV series with the budget of Battlestar Galactica or something but I couldnt see them commiting to a 14 movie epic

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

Can't wait for Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell....it better not be ruined :( I really, really like that book.

Is the Dark Tower the King series? If so I don't hold out much hope. Any adaptation of his with a real other-worldly element (excepting The Mist) has been pretty crap so far. The other good adaptations have focused more on the human stories so I leave them out.

I get the feeling the Dragonriders of pern (all the book? there's too many!) and A song of Ice and Fire will be cheesy, cgi filled dross.....maybe it's just me being negative but I've been following the series on Terry Goodkind's books and I can't say I've been impressed. Richard Rahl was NOT the way I imagined and the show is just too stiff and cheesy for me. Very disappointing. I hope they don't get as far as Temple of the Winds (my favourite in the series)

I think the jump from imagination to screen can be too much for some tales, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

The HBO series of A Song of Ice and Fire is filming at the moment....in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

growler wrote: »
    wheel of time :eek::eek::eek::eek:

the world's first 18 in a series movie and it still wouldn't end

agree that the dark tower could never be done properly, its just too far out there

Apparently Chris Morgan, he of 'Wanted', 'Fast and the Furious' & 'Fast and the Furios: Tokyo Drift' "fame" is to scribe it.

Personally I don't think the books can be made in to good films (prove me wrong!) and I think a series in the lines of 'Legend of The Seeker' would be better..

Advertisement