Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home server

Options
  • 05-11-2007 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭

Planning on building a server for at home- just for storing music. etc etc, Possibly getting domain server etc up and running

I have Win2k server there so thats what will be going on it!

What sort of CPU and RAM should I be looking at?

I have currently picked out the AMD Athlon X2 4000......do I even need dual core?

2gb RAM- too much?

Also......how much hard disk space will Win2k detect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Planning on building a server for at home- just for storing music. etc etc, Possibly getting domain server etc up and running

I have Win2k server there so thats what will be going on it!

I have currently picked out the AMD Athlon X2 4000......do I even need dual core?

2gb RAM- too much?

for a home server thats rather overkill. active directory runs fine on a P4 with 512Mb ram i have here and ive used it on a P3 it was just a bit slower with less ram etc

for a storage server 512MB/pentium3 and whatever storage you need would suffice if you want to run active directory id be going for a pentium 4 at least but all this depends on how many client systems you have running along side

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Would at most have 3 other machines accessing it at one time.....well thats all there is in the house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

2gb RAM- too much?

Agree with weeder, any basic cpu will do the job fine.
    1 gig of ram would be loads.

win2k limits the hardrive size to ~130gigs but if you install the
    latest service pack (SP4 I think) it is then fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

For my fileserver with 2 x 500GB and 2 x 320GB HDD's, Laser printer, color printer, TV Records directly to the Fileserver, VNC viewer on windows XP Pro. I have it under the stairs and I VNC onto it if to run my downloads I run a P3 933Mhz, 512MB RAM dell machine. Can have anything up to 6-7 PC's running of it at any time. Runs perfectly. So as previously suggested, yes that would be overkill for you.

Hj

Advertisement