Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Laptop as a gift-need some advice

Options
  • 05-11-2007 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi All,

Hoping you can help me. I am looking for a laptop for my brother for a combined Christmas/birthday present.

I have looked at a few options and am looking at a Dell, possibly the 6400. I have used Dell for the last few years and have found them good- although if anyone has a reccommendation for something similar I would definitly like to hear!!

He will be using it for email, web browsing and downloading music to that end I would like the 120HD will also probrably do some basic gameplaying.

I am thinking of getting Vista (if just for the disc as he already has an XP CD)and possibly the 2 year warranty ( I am also looking for advise as to whether this is worth the money, he will definitly use it for 2 years +)
    I would also like the best battery possible so am willing to upgrade the battery
    The price I am getting from the Dell website is 739 so I am wondering if anyone can help me get a better price. As far as I know the company I work for isnt eligable for the EPP, I have searched for evalue codes and am getting nowhere fast.

I would appreciate any advice- thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I would recommend a Dell and as many other's here would too, you should look at the Vostro range of laptops.
    I would whole heartedly recommend getting a 3 year warranty and I wish everyone would do this, as it saves a lot of heartache if something goes wrong.
    His needs are pretty basic but most of the Vostro range would cover everything he needs.
    Take a look in the Bargain Alerts Section for the Dell Laptop Deals Thread and keep an eye on it as its updated fairly regularly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

We'd really need to know what games he is playing before ruling out getting a good graphics card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 siobhcc

Thanks for the feedback.
    Well to be honest the games are working on an old desktop- I think its a Dell 2400 and if they work on that Im sure that they will be ok on a newer laptop.
    The gaming isnt the most important part really.
    He will however be downloading music and watching DVDS if I could get one with a DVD burner that would be great but its not vital.
    My budget is around e700-750.

I can get the Inspiron 6400 for around this price if I use the EPP- but like the company I work for aren't part of this and Im not siure if Dell check up on it (have seen a few different answers to that one)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Both this and this should be with in your budget when you add vat and delivery. The second has a better graphics card and a bigger hard drive so you might want to go for that.

Thanks for the replies.
    Should I upgrade the RAMto use the version of Vista that comes with the Vostro?
    Are the Vostros really a better option than the Inspirons.
    Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

If theres 2GB of RAm in whatever laptop you go for and its got a decent processor/Graphics card then you should be fine. I tend to try and recommend 2gbb Ram minimum when someones going for any flavour of Vista.
    Theres not a huge difference between Vostros and Inspirons , just some newer designs and black paint really..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Can i just add my 2cents and say DON'T GET VISTA!!! It's crap, crap, crap, crap, crap! You get 2gb of RAM and Vista uses up 700mb of it when you're doing nothing! Seriously. I got my laptop from Dell, the XPS one, a gaming one, and i had to threathen Dell with court to get it changed back to XP. Vista is basically XP with sunglasses and a new tshirt, and uses up way too much RAM to justify anything it does. Get XP.

Can i just add my 2cents and say DON'T GET VISTA!!! It's crap, crap, crap, crap, crap! You get 2gb of RAM and Vista uses up 700mb of it when you're doing nothing! Seriously. I got my laptop from Dell, the XPS one, a gaming one, and i had to threathen Dell with court to get it changed back to XP. Vista is basically XP with sunglasses and a new tshirt, and uses up way too much RAM to justify anything it does. Get XP.

Yeah I have heard some mixed things about it- as I said I was going to take it with the Vista but still have the option to use the XP disc he already has- I just dont want to buy something that may be outdated soon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Dell are still offering XP as an alternative to Vista, which means they know Vista is crap. Plus, when i was onto XPS support in the UK with a problem (ie, Vista) they basically told me that Dell know it's crap, has serious compatability issues but don't care and are selling it anyway. But, if he knos what he's doing and is able to install Xp after getting a Vista laptop then work away.

Ok have pretty much decided on the Vostro 1000,
    THe only thing is that it comes with Vista Business which I have discovered does not have media player which isnt a big deal but will this work ok with Itunes etc?
    I asked Dell and they said you cant get it with Vista home (though I found it under one of the customising options even though it as €20 more expensive!)

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure vista business does have media player, it doesn't have media centre which is a completely different kettle of fish. Also 2GBs of ram is fine but it is the minimum I suggest when recommending a laptop with vista for someone.
    Dell are still offering XP as an alternative to Vista, which means they know Vista is crap. Plus, when i was onto XPS support in the UK with a problem (ie, Vista) they basically told me that Dell know it's crap, has serious compatability issues but don't care and are selling it anyway. But, if he knos what he's doing and is able to install Xp after getting a Vista laptop then work away.

Dell have also started offering linux on some ranges of computers. Is this because they know windows xp is crap? When they started offering amd cpus, was this because they knew intel cpus were crap? No, the reason they are offering it is to give people a choice. They are offering people xp because some people are not comfortable with changing to vista just yet. My mum has just started getting the hang of xp, the last thing I want is to spring something like vista on her.

There are some compatibility issues with Vista but what do you expect from a new OS that has to support millions of devices and millions of programs from years ago?

Advertisement