Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop raid controller

Options
  • 05-11-2007 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭

posted this in the laptop forum last week but got no replies might fair better here

ok so im not a big computer head but i have a fair idea what a raid controller is and apparently mine is gone to ****......is that game over?

basically i was extracting a rar file from an external hard drive and the computer froze and i had to reset the same thing happened and when i reset again it said operating system not found.....when i put in the windows cd i can get it to load windows but it will crash in a few mins or whenever i try to do anything

i used the manufactures system restore discs which wouldnt fully restore for a a while but after a few tries it worked.......same thing tho windows loads without the cd now but then crashes and eventually it says os not found

the guy on the phone reckons its the raid controller does this sound right? any ideas on what i can do to save my beautiful laptop?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Never heard of a raid controller on a laptop. Well not publically available ones. Did you maybe miss hear when he said the "ide" or "sata" controller ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Anti he probably has a gaming laptop where they put in 2 hardrives in Raid 0.
    That would explain why the OS would load on the CD and not on the hardrive.

When you go into the bios, are the hardrive(s) recognised ?

Also are you leaving that external hardrive plugged into the usb port when you are
    starting up?

If the raid controller is broken then that would probably mean that
    the ide/sata controller is broken as they are essentially the same thing
    except that extra logic has been added to support the raid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

ye its an alienware laptop with 2 60gb harddrives in raid0

disconnecting and reconnecting the external makes no difference to weather it crashes or not iv tried leaving it disconnected and connected etc etc and it still crashes after a max of a few mins if i do nothing or when i try to launch a programme

when i tried to use alienwares respawn cd initially the harddrive/s were not appearing as a place to load the image but after a few restarts they appeared and now they have dissapeared again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

le bump

Advertisement