Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esb Fault

Options
  • 05-11-2007 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    As you may have seen there was a major power outage in clondalkin yesterday,it went at 6.30 am and we didnt have power restored untill about 1am this morning,anyways the freezer defrosted so the food is unusable now.

I rang the esb there just to see if they offered any form of compensation and they said that they dont and to claim off the house insurance.The thing is the excess on the house is €200,replacing the food would be a little under that so there wouldnt be any point.

Im basically just wondering if the esb are at will in anyway to provide you for whats lost or is it basically tuff

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

It has to be out for 24hours before they offer compensation.

It's part of their "charter". Unless of course they say that this is an "exceptional case" and then they won't offer any compensation. I'd imagine they class any disruption over 24hours as "exceptional" so if you are eligable for compensation because you have no power for 24hours, it'll be "exceptional" and they won't pay up.

Anyway, here's the link to the charter if there is anyone (like me) that still has no power in Clondalkin.

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/about_networks/charter.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

This is not really going to help with the compensation, but if you had any uncooked meat/chicken/fish, don't throw it out. You can cook it off and then refreeze it. That way you won't be at the loss of your food and you'll have plenty of ready-made dinners for a while. I had to do this once in a rented house after somebody plugged out the freezer instead of the dryer!!! Unfortunately anything already cooked/ready-made would have to be cooked and eaten straight away which may not be practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They had a guy from ESB on Newstalk today, can't remember when, saying that the ESB don't guarantee supply and that there will be no compensation. He also said that if you don't open the freezer they will stay frozen for 48hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

To be fair to everyone concerned, including you, you have a fair point about your losses from you freezer but the issue was a fire in the ESB network. They could hardly be accused of negligence so why should they compensate you. They are probably more put out than you are.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,010 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

eireal wrote: »
    Hi guys
    As you may have seen there was a major power outage in clondalkin yesterday,it went at 6.30 am and we didnt have power restored untill about 1am this morning,anyways the freezer defrosted so the food is unusable now.

I rang the esb there just to see if they offered any form of compensation and they said that they dont and to claim off the house insurance.The thing is the excess on the house is €200,replacing the food would be a little under that so there wouldnt be any point.

Im basically just wondering if the esb are at will in anyway to provide you for whats lost or is it basically tuff

I asked them for an adjustment once and was told that if I had a business ESB connection I would be compensated. Poor old Joe Public gets left in the lurch.

On the insurance claim, don't you have to provide a list of the items and their cost? I would imagine that if you had a stash of Beluga Caviar, Venison and some other exotic items, it wouldn't take long to exceed the excess;)
    You'd be surprised at the final cost of the contents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

ejmaztec wrote: »
    On the insurance claim, don't you have to provide a list of the items and their cost? I would imagine that if you had a stash of Beluga Caviar, Venison and some other exotic items, it wouldn't take long to exceed the excess;)

You'd be surprised at the final cost of the contents.

You would be even more surprised at the size of the inside of the Fraud Squad's "cooler" :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Del2005 wrote: »
    He also said that if you don't open the freezer they will stay frozen for 48hrs.

Frozen cods-wallop! That depends on the freezer. Mine is a dual-door job with ice compartment and I cut the power last weekend to do a wiring job and the freezer dropped from -20 to -6 in 3 hours. That's very poor!

I fully expect to come home some day to find the contents of my ice compartment on the kitchen floor, courtesy of the ESB...

Advertisement