Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing my ip address

Options
  • 05-11-2007 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me how I can change my IP address please. I have wireless digiweb, windows xp, if that helps :o Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

your IP is determined by your ISP, you are re-issued a new one every 48-72 hours.

what is it that you need a change of IP address for? if it's to view multimedia content for a specific region then using a proxy might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭rasoul

someone was using my laptop and got my IP banned from a football message board i like to visit, can you tell me how to change my proxy, i really have not got a clue, please

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well a proxy won't help you in this case i'm pretty sure.

i'm not sure how IP bans work on forums, but i know banning IP would be kind of silly as your ip changes frequently on the home broadband packages.

Cremo wrote: »
    well a proxy won't help you in this case i'm pretty sure.

i'm not sure how IP bans work on forums, but i know banning IP would be kind of silly as your ip changes frequently on the home broadband packages.

is that a defo ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

rasoul wrote: »
    is that a defo ?

I'm afraid it depends on who your broadband provider is. With some (mostly fixed line??) providers you get a static IP for free or for an extra fee and with others you will get allocated a dynamic one for an unspecified lenght of time.

With a dynamic address it is up to the ISP how they allocate this. Most likely scenario is that a dynamic ip address will remain assigned to you until you disconnect the router/modem from the network (for a least a couple of hours).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Many fixed wireless ISP's (such as IBB Breeze) give static IP's to their customers. Other's like Eircom and BT DSL will renew their customer's ip at intervals.

Going through a proxy might work, depends on the proxy setup. Some proxies will make the request look like it came from the proxy ip, others will fwd on your IP. Guess you'll just have to look around and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Another option would be to contact the admins/mods of the forum and plead your case.

irlrobins wrote: »
    Many fixed wireless ISP's (such as IBB Breeze) give static IP's to their customers. Other's like Eircom and BT DSL will renew their customer's ip at intervals.

Going through a proxy might work, depends on the proxy setup. Some proxies will make the request look like it came from the proxy ip, others will fwd on your IP. Guess you'll just have to look around and see.

ok, thanks for that, what is a proxie and how do i set it up please :eek:

Google is your friend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Isp's only change your ip to re-organise their list.

• Advertisement

Google is your friend...

yes it is, i tried google for ages before i posted this link, google did not help at all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If you go from cafe wifi hotspot to hotspot with your laptop, doesn't your IP address change with the change of hotspot? I know the ISPs frequently change from hotspot to hotspot. I thought the only constant on a laptop was your MAC?

If the football board fails to install a cookie (that's not removed at the end of a session or by you), or if you register new, change your football board alias, logon password, email address, and other personal details, how will they know who you are?

yes it is, i tried google for ages before i posted this link, google did not help at all
    Then you're too thick to know how to use a proxy. Sorry, but that's the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

:rolleyes: Brutally honest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

to do a quick check restart your DSL Modem, I know with mine, when I make a new connection to the BB it updates my IP address to a new one. I usually use this for downloading files from file storage sites that limit your downloads by IP address.

More than likely, with a wireless service you've probably got a static IP. Contact the admins of the site and plead your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Have you tried spoofing your ip address? Lots of stuff out there to help you do it: http://www.google.ie/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=ip+spoof&meta=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

homer911 wrote: »
    Have you tried spoofing your ip address? Lots of stuff out there to help you do it: http://www.google.ie/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=ip+spoof&meta=

I don't think you really understand how IP spoofing works. You can't participate in stateful sessions, e.g. a web session over TCP using a spoofed IP. Therefore, you can't use it to browse a web forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I doubt you can easily spoof IP on an ordinary home ISP account and have a working connection. Spoof MAC address is easier and used to defeat WiFi securty (Some people think MAC address security works).
    On a LAN it's trivial to have a different IP, but on a WAN the only way to change IP and have a working connection is change ISP or use an open proxy or a friend that has VPN server.

I have a VPN server, so if I connect from outside home I can use "remote gateway" and appear on internet via my home WAN IP, or if not, remain on whatever WAN IP that I'm using. It's a little bit like a proxy.

Wow, are moderators always this nice ?

Perhaps then I am too thick, i used google for an hour, couldnt find out how to change my IP address, so decided to ask on the computers and technology section of boards.ie , silly me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Wow, are moderators always this nice ?

Perhaps then I am too thick, i used google for an hour, couldnt find out how to change my IP address, so decided to ask on the computers and technology section of boards.ie , silly me

The man has a point. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

rkm wrote: »
    The man has a point. :D

Agree....

If you've nothing good to say....

Just ignore that plank rkm...

Anyway you dont have to get software, mess with your router and such to hide your ip....

You can use a search engine proxy like

http://hidemyass.com/

Used it when I was "£$%*&

Or if you are a naughty boy, get Hide IP Platinum...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Have a look at ultasurf too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭guil

if ya cant figure it out after looking on google for ages then no one will be able to explain it to ya here any better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

The OP may not know how to use a proxy, this isnt very important in the greater scheme of things. He does know how to speak to other people with respect, which most human beings over the age of 5 have mastered. Your obviously a novice/fgckwit in this respect.

Advertisement