Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attack of the Book Worms!

Options
  • 04-11-2007 5:16pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I tried downloading and reading e-book novels, but now I'm back to paperbacks and hardcovers. Although I spend hours a day looking at a computer screen, to read a novel that way just didn't work for me. Something was missing. I like the feel of a book and its paper pages.

How about you?

Are e-books for you? 87 votes

Always
    0% 0 votes
    Frequently
    4% 4 votes
    Sometimes
    2% 2 votes
    Rarely
    6% 6 votes
    Never
    18% 16 votes
    The Atari Jaguar Worm ate my e-books
    67% 59 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Have never tried, I find it really hard to read big chunks of text from a screen. Give me a book any day.

I really like CD books for long commutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Never really tried reading a book off the screen.... But I would say I'd prefer a paper book - sit all snug and off into another world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I tried downloading and reading e-book novels, but now I'm back to paperbacks and hardcovers. Although I spend hours a day looking at a computer screen, to read a novel that way just didn't work for me. Something was missing. I like the feel of a book and its paper pages.

How about you?

I'm the same. I dunno whether I want to risk the few hundred euro on an e-book reader that fits in my hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Never tried it, prefer to carry my huge books around in bag (or with a string tied around them). Oldskool. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Never tried ebooks, no point....I can barely read a newspaper article online, don't know why, but I could read tens of thousands of words in a forum and wouldn't notice it.

[edit] Don't know what it's like with a dedicated reader, but to me at least, reading print on a screen doesn't gte me as....involved, as what it would do in ink on a page. You tend to skim read e-text more than the real thing or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

E-books never became the nemesis they threatened to be. E-books are great for techie or how to type of stuff that you can skim through but not my choice for anything else. Some books need to be handled and have their pages turned. As for readers imo it makes little sense. Unlike Ipods you are not likely to be skipping books every couple of minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

I tries with e books, and audiobooks, and at the risk of sounding old fashioned, they just dont work. You need somethin in your hand, the smell of the pages, its just not right without that

• Registered Users Posts: 31,172 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The thing i love about proper physical books is that it takes me Away from computers and television. No power, no screen glare, no low hum of electricity.

I find a book does a much better job of emersing the reader in the story and engaging your mind to visualise what it is your reading.

Also as others have said, i think we've all developed a more skip reading style when it comes to reading from a screen, and its a tough habit to get out of. For newspapers and magazine type content the internet/laptop is fine, but for a narrative, something you want to be fully engaged in, you just cant beat a good proper old fashioned book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The thing i love about proper physical books is that it takes me Away from computers and television. No power, no screen glare, no low hum of electricity.

I find a book does a much better job of emersing the reader in the story and engaging your mind to visualise what it is your reading.

I'd definitely agree with that. I much prefer paper books and paper in general. I find it so much easier to read notes, novels etc when I have them in my hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

I much prefer actual books, you can snuggle in something comfy, curl up and get lost in another world. Computers just don't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

for actual novels/naratives = paper ftw.

for techie books ebooks ftw ctrl+f is a life saver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Cremo wrote: »

QFT:D
    I own a few "techie" e-books, and it does not bother me if I am at the screen.
    When reading such books, you are generally working with commands at a terminal so no biggie.
    Proper Novels on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I love benzene so I always read paper books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Cremo wrote: »
    for actual novels/naratives = paper ftw.

exactly, part of the fun of reading is the mobility, you can read in the garden or during your lunch at work etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I read books all of the time on my lappy, but haven't gotten around to getting a proper reader (and probably can't afford one either). I have used my mp3 player to read books in text format though, the only drawback being that it's an old player so the screen is fairly small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

i find it hard to read a long post, let alone a novel but I'll speed through a book

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

paper books for the win....it just wouldnt be the same especially with fantasy type stuff where you kinda drift off into a world where they dont even have electricty

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I much prefer actual books, you can snuggle in something comfy, curl up and get lost in another world. Computers just don't do that.
    qft.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

E-books are too much effort on the eyes. Prefer the 'old fashioned' paper variety!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Ink on paper for me too, screen reading too hard on the eyes. also much handier to lend the actual book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I use ubook, fbreader or justreader for reading ebooks on a PDA (XDA exec, Zaurus, Dell Axim, N770), works very well, I got used to reading ebooks while laid up in hospital, two injured thumbs made real books a too painful but an ebook set to autoscroll did the business!

Still reading ebooks now, they are great for reading in bed - no need for a light and much more portable than paper - no need to choose which books to bring when traveling, just bring them all!

Audiobooks in the car while comuting to work let you feel that you are getting some value from the travel time plus I find that I listen to books that I would not have considered reading.

But even with all of the above, sometimes a proper book and comfy chair with soft light coming over you shoulder is what life is all about!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Project gutenberg is great - all the classics for free whenever you want them. In my last job I have unsupervised access to the internet and I read the Count of Monte Cristo when I should have been working.

But give the choice of a paper book or a book on a computer without any other factors like money, availability and getting caught reading, I'd prefer a paper book anyday. Especially old first editions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

fenris wrote: »
    I use ubook, fbreader or justreader for reading ebooks on a PDA (XDA exec, Zaurus, Dell Axim, N770), works very well, I got used to reading ebooks while laid up in hospital, two injured thumbs made real books a too painful but an ebook set to autoscroll did the business!

Which do you find best for the Axim (uBook?)? Any that handle .chm too? I've tried reading books on my PDA - even in landscape it's only about 9 words wide and 4 or 5 lines long...it's slow and painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Download and e-book ... then print it out
    Everyones a winner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

.pdf + bookr + hacked psp = happy tzetze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Something was missing. I like the feel of a book and its paper pages.
    MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Have never tried, I find it really hard to read big chunks of text from a screen. Give me a book any day.
    Wertz wrote: »
    Never tried ebooks, no point....I can barely read a newspaper article online, don't know why, but I could read tens of thousands of words in a forum and wouldn't notice it.
    I tries with e books, and audiobooks, and at the risk of sounding old fashioned, they just dont work. You need somethin in your hand, the smell of the pages, its just not right without that
    themadchef wrote: »
    Ink on paper for me too, screen reading too hard on the eyes. also much handier to lend the actual book.
    Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Download and e-book ... then print it out
    Everyones a winner :)
    The reason ebooks don't work is because you are looking at a luminous light source, which is sending information to your eyes in RGB (Red-Green-Blue). This is not natural, as in our eyes aren't built for it, so it becomes a lot of effort after a certain point in time.

The answer to your woes is already in place, just not sufficiently developed to be on the mass market yet. This is called Electronic Paper. It is a non-luminous screen (you need a light source to read it), and produces images in the same way as paper (CMYK, Cyan-Magenta-Yellow-Black); as such it is the "natural" way to read, our eyes can handle it a lot better. It can be crumpled or bent like ordinary paper, and for ultimate win, it doesn't need power to keep an image on the sheet, so your battery life goes through the roof.

I can see them completely replacing normal monitors in the future, and you could store a thousand books in something the size of a packet of cigarettes - you'll likely have the battery life to read them, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Definitely paper source for me. I like audio books too though when im driving a 4hr plus drive to the NW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Just an update to my post there, looks like Sony has already brought out a prototype device, retailing at around €200 - €300. Reports are that although there are some problems with flickering when you turn the page, it is a massive step up from normal screens, and actually better to read than a normal book. You can apparently read it consistently for almost a week before you need a recharge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

books are just one of the greatest pleasures in life.

an e-book just doesnt work for me. its about the smell of it, the feel of it, the ability to stick your finger in between the pages and close the book when youre thinking about something thats happened in the story. its about being able to lie in bed and reading, and getting ready to turn the page when youre 2 paragraphs into the current pages. its about the quiet, its about knowing how far you are into the book, about paper and cardboard.

its about not being any sort of technology. its just about the pleasure of reading.

i just cant seem to get any of that on me laptop :)

Advertisement