Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally, a good article in the Sunday Business Post about laptops

Options
  • 04-11-2007 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up - there's a good article in Today's Sunday Business Post's Computer in Business magazine comparing laptops. So if you are in the market for a laptop, it might be worth checking out.

It's well written, well informed and devoid of the normal guff we have seen from that magazine in the past.

And to top it off, it's written by a member of Boards.ie (not me, BTW :)).

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Must take a look at this. Who wrote it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Who wrote it?

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Fair play. I still won't buy that rag. :)

Karoma wrote: »

Pffft. Sunday Independent readers, they're all the same.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

tom dunne wrote: »

Fair play to him. I'll probably read it later. I'm too hungover to read a whole paragraph.

• Advertisement

Fair play to him. I'll probably read it later.

in fairness, he has written quite a few articles for the paper.
    I'm too hungover to read a whole paragraph.

Pfft. Students. Try the Sunday Independent - lots of easy to read articles with pictures.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Glad people liked the piece and thought it was well informed - am delighted it has gone down well.

It was a nice piece to write as I'm informed enough on laptops/PCs to know what to look for (although I'm no expert!). It sure beats writing about things I've little clue about!
    Karoma wrote: »

Pfft - Sunday Independent readers, all the same :D

flogen wrote: »
    It was a nice piece to write as I'm informed enough on laptops/PCs to know what to look for (although I'm no expert!).

Then how come we don't see you around these parts more? :)
    flogen wrote: »
    It sure beats writing about things I've little clue about!

You mean like a certain editor of the Computers in Business magazine? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I think he is being run head over heels over at the Prime Time Cartoons forums ;)

I feel like we have a celebrity on the forums!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Would like to read - any chance of a scan, anyone? :)

• Advertisement

I tend to lurk - although it's bad for my health tbh because my eyes are bigger than my wallet.

Even researching the piece I would have happily spent over 1k on some of those laptops had I had it - this is despite the fact that I don't need a new laptop and only bought one recently!
    You mean like a certain editor of the Computers in Business magazine? :D

Well I was referring to my own experiences - I've written other stuff for CiB (and other places) that I wasn't nearly as in tune with and it makes it a lot harder not to take the word of a company man who tells you something is great because they're selling it, not because it actually is.
    I think he is being run head over heels over at the Prime Time Cartoons forums ;)

Yup - run off my feet there (I don't think I've actually done one thing on that forum...!)
    I feel like we have a celebrity on the forums!!! :D

Ha, celebrity - yeah! Who will I make the autograph out to? :p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

I enjoyed the article flogen and I guess its pitched at the appropriate level for your business audience.

BUT :rolleyes: personally, I think there will be a massive move to tablets in the next 2-3 years in Ireland on the business front as people realise the benefits of enhanced mobility and note taking and email reviewing on the move etc. and that they really don't need massive specs to get an exemplary business performance.

In relation to the hp2710p you should check out this site.
    Personally I felt your summary of the machine left it a little short but thats your perogative.

Disclaimer/Boast: I've already got mine ordered. And for €1,500 (including an additional 6 cell battery slice) via the States :p

ollyk1 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the article flogen and I guess its pitched at the appropriate level for your business audience.

BUT :rolleyes: personally, I think there will be a massive move to tablets in the next 2-3 years in Ireland on the business front as people realise the benefits of enhanced mobility and note taking and email reviewing on the move etc. and that they really don't need massive specs to get an exemplary business performance.

Thanks for the comments, nice to get an article critique of any nature.

I agree in terms of not needing massive specs - as I said in the main article, higher specs dents on other aspects that make business laptops attractive in terms of size and weight and are not a priority.

You may well be right in terms of tablets too, although my brief was to write about the latest trends in terms of business laptops (what people would/should be looking for now and what's on offer). As you can see only one of the manufacturers is pitching a tablet laptop device and all of the listed machines were put forward by the respective companies (Rather than chosen by me or someone in the 'paper).
    In relation to the hp2710p you should check out this site.
    Personally I felt your summary of the machine left it a little short but thats your perogative.

Thanks for that - will give it a read.

In terms of the article length, unfortunately the space I had for reviews was extremely limited - it's impossible to give anything more than a glancing review of something as complex as a laptop in 150-200 words so it was really more of an overview than anything.

I was impressed by the HP, but I couldn't justify spending the extra just for the tablet functionality, whatever about the machine's specs.

Advertisement