Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Dating Experiences..

Options
  • 04-11-2007 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I was thinking of trying out the much "talked about" speed dating, anybody have any experience of it..good, bad or indifferent?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I havent done it meself but my mate met his current long term girlfriend at one. They bought a house together over a year ago.

i must point out however, he met her at the bar during an interval and didnt actually get to speed date her.

Another mate of mine who did it, hes the good looking type, selected 6 girls from 20 or so he met. This means that if the same 6 girls selected him, he would get a maximum of 6 phone numbers and responses. he got 7 responses!

the feedback they gave was dont take it serious, too many blokes looked like they did and werent very popular. as you are only talking for 3 mins, you need to be funny and memorable. Asking questions like what do you work at or do you want kids aint goin to float someone's boat.

on a final funnier note, my mate saw one girl coming who was obviously only there because her friends wanted her to go. he could hear her being rude and mean to other blokes so when he got to face her and the bell went, before she opened her mouth he said "right you have 3 minutes, impress me!"

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭THEDONWALDO

i might give it a go, even just for the the laugh! Your mate had the right idea faceman!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

er, i went to one about 6 years ago when it was all the new crazy, i found i horrible, really boring and most of the guys had been there loads of times and were just looking for sex

oh except the one guy who was a sheep farmer in galway and was looking for wife, the wife had to learn to work the farm, not watch soaps and like to roller blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I went along once on the prompting of a friend. I was a bit unsure at first, thinking "what kind of woman would come along to this sort of thing?"

My fears were allayed right at the beginning because the first girl I sat opposite was GORGEOUS. I hit it off immediately with her, then our five minutes were over, I moved down the line and over the course of the evening, found two other girls who I really liked. I didn't talk to the first one again since some big rugger bugger was monopolising her time.

When it came to the response and matching part on the 'net, it turned out that my top three "picks" also picked me... and I ended up going on a date with the first, really gorgeous girl. Through my own lack of confidence I ended up not kissing her, though looking back, all the signals were there. There are very few things I regret, but not having a bit more balls that day is one of them.

I had a date with one of the other girls, where we found we didn't have that much in common, but had a great time, and by that time, I had sort of left it too late to contact the third one.

Moral of the story: go for it, because you will break the ice and get a few dates. They might or might not work out, but at least you're improving your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a PI for the OP. Moved to After Hours.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

dudara wrote: »
    Not a PI for the OP. Moved to After Hours.

dudara

Er, did the OP tell you that?

excuse my ignorance, Im kind of new to this.... Whats a PI and an OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,172 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PI is a Personal Issue, the section you posted in first, and an OP is the Original Poster (i.e You).

Never given it a go myself and have a long term gf so might not get to for the forseeable future. Would like to though, with a few mates, seems like a bit of craic.

cheers rebel!! I am now proficient in boardspeak!

Advertisement