Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new quays bus lane signs

Options
  • 04-11-2007 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

It has probably been pointed out, however on Friday i was stuck in traffic heading in to town when i looked at the signs to see when the bus lane ends. I noticed it was "mon - Sath"?? And it was all of them, not just one. So someone out there added a "h" on to Saturday. Well done lads.

Now some smart arse might come on and point out that Saturday in Irish is Satharn :D Thats great so there is your sath. However Monday is Luain so it looks like they put Monday in English and Saturday in Irish? I would think its more likely a mistake.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i despair of old signs around the country where you see about three spellings for one place name, but you'd think we'd have got that cracked by now wouldnt you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I live in Rochfortbridge. Not only are there a number of signs pointing to us that are wrong, such as Rochfordbridge...

An post, on their website seem to think we are called Rockfort Bridge :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Caher anyone? :)
    Saruman wrote:
    So someone out there added a "h" on to Saturday. Well done lads.

Possibly a phonetic representation of Saturday in a Southside accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Stark wrote: »
    Caher anyone? :)
    Caher / Cahir - one is the proper spelling, the other is the popular spelling.

Dingle / An daingean :D

Oh and probably the best known one by me, I grew up in Palmerstown.. yet some signs seem to think its Palmerston which is somewhere near Rathmines i believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Lahinch/Lehinch

Roads signs for both around Co. Clare and even google will get you results for both
    And Lehinch is nowhere close to being Irish before you ask

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Saruman wrote: »
    I grew up in Palmerstown.. yet some signs seem to think its Palmerston
    I wonder, even the OS spell it Palmerston. I suspect its the hoi polloi have corrupted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Yep, the correct name is Palmerston, it's just easier for some people to pronounce it Palmerstown. Another example is Walkinstown which was called Wilkinstown up to fifty or sixty years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Victor wrote: »
    I wonder, even the OS spell it Palmerston. I suspect its the hoi polloi have corrupted it.
    Nope.
    The OS use the official name of Towns, which isnt necessarily the same name as commonly used by 99% of the people living in the town.

I contacted the OS there a number of years ago when I saw that the name of my local town back home in Ireland was spellt in a way that nobody in the town uses.

The Gardai, Post Office, electoral register and almost all civilians (I think some of the protestant churches use the OS spelling) spell the town name different that what the OS calls the town. The answer from the OS was that they are using the official name and it would take an act of parliament or something along those lines to change it!
    (Unfortunately the origianl mail was lost somewhere along the line when my company switched to a new mail server.)

So to be honest, you'll have to try and get your local politican to take the issue forward and earn his latest payrise, which the cynical part of me reckons no politican would be intested in bothering their hole doing.

Its officially Palmerston?? Thats news to me. what is the ton supposed to mean? In Irish its Baile Phámar. Baile obviosly translates to town so is ton another way of saying town in English?

edit: just did a wiki and i guess ton is another way of saying town in English....

• Advertisement
Advertisement