Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referring to the UK as 'Cross Channel'....

Options
  • 03-11-2007 7:13pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is it correct to refer to the UK as 'Cross Channel'...?Radio stations always do this.It only seems to happen on sports reports.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i dont think so myself... the channel is a different stretch of sea entirely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

St. George's Channel perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

They must of forgotten the Celtic Sea!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Great, another UK bashing fest:rolleyes: You should really respect the mother country. Look at all they have done for us over the years.:)

Remember on a clear day you can see Great Britain from Wicklow so I take it that it could theoretically be refered to as a 'channel'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

spurious wrote: »
    St. George's Channel perhaps.

when i hear people say channel without making a distinction i just immediately think english channel. I always forget about that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Dub13 wrote: »
    Is it correct to refer to the UK as 'Cross Channel'...?Radio stations always do this.It only seems to happen on sports reports.

I guess calling it a channel rather than a sea makes it seem smaller and as such makes us feel geographically closer to our favourite local sides such as Liverpool, Man Utd and Keltic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

As in 'over on BBC5' - cross channel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

darkman2 wrote: »
    Great, another UK bashing fest:rolleyes

This has nothing to do with UK bashing its about Irish people calling the Irish sea a channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It should'nt be used but its become accepted short-hand so won't be stopped now!

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Is it only sports reported who use it...?I don't recall ever hearing anybody else use it.

One for the kids who listened in geography class,how big can a channel be without been a sea...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

OMG! So racist!

rant, rave, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

When I was a kid and they'd report the "cross-channel" results on the sports news on RTE, I used to think they were referring to matches that were shown on some other channel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Dub13 wrote: »
    Is it only sports reported who use it...?I don't recall ever hearing anybody else use it.

An attempt to make the support of English football clubs less heinous?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pond ?

pond ?

Thats america I thought?

And its a pretty crappy pond too.. i never once saw a frog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Irish sea is known as "the/water" the Atlantic is the Pond.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

mike65 wrote: »
    The Irish sea is known as "the/water" the Atlantic is the Pond.

Mike.
    Mike is correct.

The channel thing is correct if you are on the ferry to holyhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

Terry wrote: »
    Mike is correct.

The channel thing is correct if you are on the ferry to holyhead.

I thought a Channel referred to a narrow stretch of water between two points of land through which a solid flow of traffic passes...The English Channel(Dover to Calais) yes,that's fair enough but technically I don't think 'Cross-Channel' is the right geographical/nautical term to be using when referring to Soccer results from England+never have I heard of it being called 'The Irish Channel' - think you may be incorrect there Terry

Advertisement