Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renewable energy:where to study

Options
  • 03-11-2007 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

HI:
    I am looking for a place in or around Dublin where to study about renewable energy,any information will be apreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Are you looking for a course relating to renewable eneregy or to check out renewable resources available.

The Tipperary institute do an advanced certificate in renewable energy, link below.

http://www.tippinst.ie/courses/course_details.aspx?id=75

If I see anything else ill post more

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Socrates

i know you said around dublin but someone said to me that there may be a course in ucc in renewable energy next yr, unless i heard wrong. im in third year environmental science in UCC. its more about the environment, monitoring, policies, resources and such. though i do have a module in sustainable energy this year with options for more next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Yea i know you are looking for somewhere round Dublin, but in Dundalk IT they have a Renewable energy masters and have a large wind turbine on-site. I was interested in this masters myself but never got my ass into gear to really look into it, although i would be partaking in it part time. I'm sure it's an area where more and more people will study so i wouldn't be surprised if a lot more places are now providing this course.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

The Electrical Engineering department at UCD is big into renewables at the moment, particularly their post-graduate work. Although they focus a lot on how it will impact the national grid and there'd be a lot of heavy maths involved with that.

As another poster mentioned, there's an Energy Engineering degree starting in UCC next year (CK603). http://www.ucc.ie/en/eleceng/news/Text,41164,en.html
    I know some of the lecturers involved in it and I'd say it's pretty much guaranteed to be a very interesting and high quality degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Daniel_O_BRIEN

I am replying as a staff member in engineering at DkIT - Dundalk

Renewable and Sustainable Energy courses. Course level will depend on what level you are currently at.

1. If you are a general member of the public, there are occasional introductory courses held in conjunction with CREDIT.
    2. If you have a craft certificate e.g. Plumber , then DkIT has " Installer Academy" recognition for installing Renewable Energy Systems e.g Solar, Ground Source, Biomass. These courses restricted to Craft certificate holders.

3. If you have Professional qualification in engineering or construction, then Building Energy Regulation certification will be available

4. If you want to develop career in engineering with Renewable Energy as focus, then the Ordinary Degree in Engineering either DK740 - Electrical & Electronic Systems or DK742 Mechanical Engineering are suitable starting off places. - But these require the standard Leaving Certificate entrance level.

5. If you have already an Honours degree in Engineering ( any branch) or Science ( preferably physics, chemistry or other experimental laboratory sciences,) then the Masters of Science in Renewable Energy Systems, either full time ( 18 months) or part time is a possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭shakeydude

There is a Masters in Renewable Energy and Energy Management at the University of Ulster, I have just started it and it is very interesting. It is distance learning so it doesnt really matter where you are based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pablodublin07

HI : I like to thank to everyone for the answers, I will look at those places this week and ask them for detailed information.

Thanks

I am replying as a staff member in engineering at DkIT - Dundalk

Renewable and Sustainable Energy courses. Course level will depend on what level you are currently at.

1. If you are a general member of the public, there are occasional introductory courses held in conjunction with CREDIT.
    2. If you have a craft certificate e.g. Plumber , then DkIT has " Installer Academy" recognition for installing Renewable Energy Systems e.g Solar, Ground Source, Biomass. These courses restricted to Craft certificate holders.

3. If you have Professional qualification in engineering or construction, then Building Energy Regulation certification will be available

4. If you want to develop career in engineering with Renewable Energy as focus, then the Ordinary Degree in Engineering either DK740 - Electrical & Electronic Systems or DK742 Mechanical Engineering are suitable starting off places. - But these require the standard Leaving Certificate entrance level.

5. If you have already an Honours degree in Engineering ( any branch) or Science ( preferably physics, chemistry or other experimental laboratory sciences,) then the Masters of Science in Renewable Energy Systems, either full time ( 18 months) or part time is a possibility.

hi daniel,

hope you dont mind replying to such an old post but i was wondering do you know much about the course "Renewable Technology Technologies (E08)" in the dkit lifelong learning centre. would i be qualified as an installer after this course? (unlikely as it's only a 10 week evening course) or is this course meant as an intro to follow-on studies?
    i am currently in a dead-end misery in the local xerox factory as i have been for the last 6 years and i am trying to get some qualifications before it closes like every other factory in town which is only a matter of time.
    any help / advice would be VERY much appreciated. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 steven11

im looking into doing a degree in renewable energy and im wondering if there is a high level of maths and engineering involved

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

steven11 wrote: »
    im looking into doing a degree in renewable energy and im wondering if there is a high level of maths and engineering involved

I'm due to finish my degree in energy and envoirnmental engineering in two weeks time from IT Tallaght. This degree focuses a lot on renewable energy and also covers a lot of other material as-well. As with every engineering degree there will always be a high level of maths involved but if your willing to put the work in it is a cake walk. A fine example is a friend of mine who did foundation level maths in his leaving cert which was probably down to laziness at the time also did the course as a mature student. As he was older with a good work ethic he got better grades than the younger students most of whom would of achieved much better grades in their leaving cert. So if you ask yourself am I willing to work hard for it and the answer is yes then i say go for it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement